• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding question - 2 mice vs. more often?

D'n'D

New mom to bloodred Elsa
According to the Munson Scale, my bloodred Elsa (35g) should eat 7-9g fuzzies every 5-6 days. She ate Wednesday night (we are Sunday now), pooped like clockwork after 48h and since then she's cruising every night in her cage. I weighed her again today and she's 34g. When I put the fuzzies I've been feeding her on the scale they are 3-5g so definitely on the small side. I am uncomfortable to feed her double fuzzies - I think it is too much.

Will it be OK to maybe feed her the fuzzies I still have (about 8 of them) every 4 days until she finishes them and then source larger ones? She eats happily -today we even tested her and just placed a F/T in her feeding box - I didn't try to challenge her to eat it - she just cruised to the other end of the box and ate it at first sight. So I assume the portions she was getting were probably too small for her. The fuzzies she's eating are just a little over her diameter, not 1.5 times thicker.

I've been also reading that the Munson program is a bit aggressive, however, I don't want to keep her hungry either. Thoughts?

I follow the Munson Plan by gram weight. In other words, if my snake needs a mouse size 7-9 gms and I only have pinkies that weigh 3 or 4 gms, I weigh out 7-9 gms of pinky. I give the two that add up to the weight I want.

My opinion - I always feed a bit smaller prey item than the Munson plan recommends, and if the snakes are starting to outgrow what I have on hand, I just feed them at the shorter recommended interval. I have actually started to worry at times that they should be eating larger mice but they've all grown fantastically. My 2014 hatchlings are around 80 grams which I think is right on par. I've never fed anything doubled except pinkies. I don't believe it's recommended for the larger mouse sizes.

Back