• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

feeding question, please....

lisa127

Hi, I've noticed lately a lot of ppl talking about male corns going off feed at this time of year. I have a corn I believe is male who is barely a yearling. I'd say he's at least 27 inches long, though I know he's not quite 30 inches. He has recently (like in the pass couple of weeks) lost any interest in food. Isn't he too young to stop eating during breeding season? Should I worry? I know a couple weeks isn't a long time, but he has always had a great appetite so I thought I'd ask. Thanks much.
Lisa

He is certainly in that window. Males, even yearlings can and do stop feeding during the spring.

So how long should I let this go on.....when should he start feeding again? I don't mean to be a pain, just want to make sure that's what the problem is.....

If you're that concerned, skip your next scheduled feeding and offer a live pinky or fuzzy. That's like candy and will usually elicit a response.

He'll eat when he's hungry enough...I'd keep an eye on him or even better get a small inexpensive digital scale and watch for any weight loss...a few grams will easily be put back on once he starts feeding...if he's feeling the season live prey may not make much of a difference; he's got one thing on his mind ;*)

Not feeding in the spring

Now that it is becoming breading season I have a question about the males. (I have a female) but will a male start eating again once this season is over or will you have to start again with feeding live or braining?? :shrugs: :shrugs:

Lisa,
I check out this website often but rarely post and I was just getting ready to post the same question. I have a male who faithfully eats every Sunday. The past 2 weeks he's had no interest. In fact, he's got a fuzzy in with him now and couldn't care less. He's about the same age. I got him last March at the NOAH show in the Berea Fairgrounds. He was about 12-15 inches when I got him and is now around 2 feet, so I'm guessing late 03 or early 04 but don't know for sure so I call him my New Years baby. Maybe it's just our lovely Cleveland weather since both of our boys seem to be acting the same. He's otherwise healthy, feels strong, although he has been a bit more nervous and tends to stay in his hide more which seem to fit with what I've been reading.

So thanx for saving me from posting the same message. Hope your guy comes around soon.
The next NOAH show is April 17th. I hope to pick up a pair and try my hand at breeding.

Take care

I thought my amel was a female, and when C.S. stopped eating and was roaming the viv I asked the same question. Cav told me that females occasionally go off food at this time, but as I had a strong suspicion that I was being fooled, I had my amel probed. He's definitely a male. He's been off feed for almost 2 months now, and he's almost 2 yrs. old.

Well, after 3 weeks of not eating he ate this weekend! Yay! I don't know why he didn't want to eat, but I'm glad he's eating now. Thanks everyone.

Back