• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding question

Hu-Dat

My snow corn, Hu-Dat, is about a year and eight months. She is weighing 318 grams and about 3-3.5 feet long. Is she a normal size? I hope I haven't been power feeding her. I feed her only if she's hungry I have never force fed her. I usually feed every 5-6 days, sometime 4 days. Is that considered power feeding? Any help would be greatly appreciated! There doesn't seem to be anything wrong physically. She has However gotten very wiggly since December.

Depends on the size of food. That's power feeding if she's on large or adult mice, but not if she's on pinkies or fuzzies. Once every 4-6 days is more the frequency you'd feed a hatchling on pinkies. As food size increases, frequency of feeding needs to decrease to allow their digestion to work properly and avoid them piling on the flab. My adult Corns eat one adult mouse every 14-21 days.

They are opportunistic hunters and feeders in the wild, so she will always be "hungry". That doesn't mean she needs food, just that nature has her wired to be on the lookout all the time as she doesn't know when her next meal will be. They can sometimes hunt for weeks without finding anything in the wild, which balances out the occasional pig-out. However that doesn't happen in captivity if you're maintaining a high food input all the time. Whilst she's rapidly reaching her adult length (which should happen around the age of three years), once she hits that then she'll just start to get fat. This carries the same health risks as it does for other animals and humans.

If she *is* eating large or adult mice, it's best to reduce that feeding rate now while you still have a chance to get things under control.

Back