• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding question.

snakehobbyist

I think this has been pretty debated on other forums, but I'm not sure about on here.

I know ball pythons don't get cage aggressive so I feel my ball pythons in their tubs so not to stress them out. They are easily stressed and this is better for them.

With my collection growing in size (I'm not up to 6 corn snakes and 3 ball pythons with one more coming in January), it's becoming more and more impractical to feed my corns in a separate tub. I only have four designated feeding tubs and one of them is pretty much assigned to my quarantine room.

So, for all those breeders out there, do you notice cage aggression when feeding in tubs? I use a rack system with newspaper bedding. I only have one female who gets really nippy after she's eaten, but the rest don't seem to have any aggressive feeding responses.I was always told corn snakes got cage aggressive so I was always told to feed in a separate bin. Is there any truth to that or is it just a myth like with the ball pythons?

All my corns eat and then go about their merry little ways. Any advice/experience greatly appreciated.

There is a ton of debate about this. I personally feed in a separate tub I think the debate can easily be summed up by this statement NOT ALL SNAKES ARE THE SAME. Some may show aggression from home tank feeding some may not. My personal feelings on this are Why chance it. Even tho it doesn't hurt being bit it is however annoying. If I don't feed in the home tank I don't have to worry about it happening. Ounce of prevention ton of cure statement applies. When I bred Rat snakes I fed in there tubs about half were aggressive half were not. I honestly think its more to do with the temperament of the snake on an individual basis.

That's what I was thinking too. All but one of my snakes are very passive in nature. I honestly don't think they would have an issue eating in their tubs. There's only one that I would feed out of her tub hands down.

However, I do like that it gives me an opportunity to do full bedding changes when they are eating.

It's really a matter of opinion. There are experienced snake handlers both in favor and not in favor of feeding in-cage. Some people say that if you feed out of cage, it lets the snake associate you removing it from its cage with feeding. If you take it out of its cage for regular handling, it shouldn't be an issue.

I feed in separate tubs mainly for my convenience - as has been said, it allows me to spot clean without additional disturbance to the snake. I do have one which goes through phases of refusing to eat in his tub and only eating in his home tank. I've not noticed a change in his behaviour towards me when I go to get him out.

I only have 13 and feed in "shifts", 2 or 3 of them in an evening, so putting them in feeding tanks isn't time consuming. I can imagine there must be a tipping point where it simply isn't practical even at a home keeper level.

I don't really have a strong opinion either way. It's whatever works firstly for the snake, and secondly for you.

Alright. Thanks for the opinions! I'll go out and buy some more tubs to use as feeding bins. Feeding 6 isn't too bad right now, I just lack the tubs. So I'll just solve the problem and buy more tubs xD

Back