• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding question!

DeathCrest

sune-ku wa kawaii desu!!
Hey most of you must remember me posting about if the cornsnake in the picture was a hypo lavander or just a regular. Anyway i don't really care because he is such a handsome young male!!! I named him Faustus and it suits him too. Anyway back to my question. I got him today and the breeder told me that Faustus was a pig and ate about three to four pinkies every four days. I wanted to see this myself and since he hasn't feed the poor lil dear in a week i fed him tonight with my friend. Faustus is a freaking pig! He jumped and ate the first one in less then ten seconds, the second one was gulped down and the third just dissapeared. I'm pretty sure he would of went for a fourth but i didn't have an extra one...Do you guys think i shoudl feed him fuzzys? You don't even see the pinkies in his form anymore.
Thanks for reading!
Viviane

If you don't see them in his stomache anymore you can savely move up a size. Be carefull with overfeeding though. Just like humans obesity can lead to nasty health problems.

When i got Faustus, he wasn't fat and looked in perfect health and watching him eat i know that i wouldn't be overfeeding him with 3 pinkies since you don't see any of them in his form but i will wait to see if he decides to regurgitate anything he can't handle. On other notes, I was just wondering, how do you know when a snake hits obesity?

I'll own up to having overfed as a novice. I fed a male at the same rate as his breeding females. Of course, they were working it off with egglaying, but he ended up being a right porker.

I suppose the best way to describe him, would be to say that he looked like someone who was wearing a sweater too sizes too small. You could actually see tiny areas of skin between his scales and his body was way out of proportion to the size of his head. This happened over six months when he was four. Anyway, once I'd woken up and noticed, he went on a strict feeding regime of one mouse every two weeks and I eventually got him a taller viv with ledges and climbing equipment.

The diet and jungle gym gradually brought him back to an acceptable size over two years (shedding the pounds really does seem to be a slow business with snakes), but I don't think he'll ever be Slimmer of the Year! On the other hand, he's 12 years old and never been ill apart from the obesity, so hopefully I caught it in time to avoid long-term health issues for him.

Snice your feeding him 3 pinkies, I think he can take one pinkie and one fuzzy on his next feeding.

Don't know if this is EXACTLY correct, but I was told cornsnakes can eat one and one half their girth safely. Anything bigger than that could potentially present a problem. I'd try with the fuzzies and she how Faustus does with them. I'm wondering...about how long is your snake and about how thick?

Faustus is about a foot long not even and is about the thickness of a 19 year old female pinky finger. LoL I suck at describing these things. Anyway i'll keep feeding him 3 pinkies until he sheds that way it might be a better sign for moving to the next level no?
thanks alot
Viviane

Back