• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

feeding question

justjamie

the first week i got my snake, the man i brought her off said she eats one pinkie a day and if she stil lookin for food actively, she might have one more, and funnily enough she ate two.
i was really surprised cuz i thought movin was a stressful time for snakes and some wont feed first time round.

but then i read that if a snake can eat two pinkies, then its muscles are developed enough to have a fluffie, so thats what i did and she ate it no probs

but now she eats one fluffie and shes still all over her tank looking for morre food, and she didn't wanna get out her feeding tank

QUESTION IS: CAN SHE HAVE ANOTHER?

HELP :)

If it was a hatchling when you bought it, one pinkie a day was far too much (even for a power-feeding regime) - one every 4-5 days is usual. Sounds like you may have started with some poor info.

How big is the Corn and how often are you feeding it?

Bear in mind that a Corn is an opportunistic feeder - in the wild it will eat everything it can find. An appearance of being hungry shouldn't automatically be a cue to increase feeding.

Bitsy has pretty much said it, I've NEVER heard someone feeding a corn a pinkie a day not even the most extreme cases, you have to bare in mind that generally it takes a day or 2 just to digest the first one, he/she is getting another pinkie before digesting the first! and that way you would NEVER be able to handle the corn since your not meant to handle a snake a day or 2 after they've eaten (unless they're on bigger prey then you have to leave them longer) so if he/she's eating every day you'll never be able to handle her.........if you want a good guide on feeding search the forum for the munson plan, hope I could help.

I strongly suggest you order a copy of a beginner's cornsnake guidebook from http://cornsnakes.net or http://www.cornutopia.com. Either of those books will answer questions you probably didn't even know you had - and that'll help you and your snake out a LOT in the long run. It is obvious you were started off with some POOR information. Those books (get one or, better yet, BOTH) the help get straightened out quickly.

Good luck!
KJ

Remember that Cornsnakes are opportunistic feeders (like Bitsy said) and will take every item that they can get. Also, they will stay in feeding/hunting mode for 20 - 30 minutes after feeding, so even though it appears that they need more, they probably don't.

If you want to be accurate, use a set of scales that weigh in grams (if you haven't got one, grab a digital set from Argos/ASDA for like £9. Then use the Munson Plan for reference and that way, you can be sure of what your snake really needs :)

All the best

David

Jamie,
I agree with what the others have said. Feeding a snake too much too fast can lead to real problems. The size of they prey item is determined more by the size of the snake itself and not how much it can eat in one sitting. An appropriate size meal should make a noticeable lump in the snake that takes two or three days to go down. Some people say the prey should be a little bigger around than the thickest part of the snake.

The Munson plan mentioned above determines prey size by how much the snake weighs.

You do need a good book and the on KJ recommended from Kathy Love is a good one. And stick around here. You can get lots of confusing answers here on any topic.

Thanks for clarifying the pinkie feeding issue. Back to your original question:

but now she eats one fluffie and shes still all over her tank looking for morre food, and she didn't wanna get out her feeding tank

QUESTION IS: CAN SHE HAVE ANOTHER?

Does the fuzzie leave a lump in her belly after she's swallowed it? If yes, then stick with one. If no, then offer two at a time. Feeding frequency should decrease as the food size iuncreases, but two fuzzies once a week should be fine.

it leaves a noticable lump, but she has got a good girth for her age, i wouldn't say obese, just muscular, shes really strong for a littlen.
wil get some pics of her when shes digested this weeks feed :)

thanks alot fot he replies :)

Sounds like she's doing fine on one for the minute then - harden your heart!

The "searching" for food after eating is just instinctive behaviour and not a message that she needs more food.

Back