• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

feeding rats (small)

serpentina

What the deuce???
I fed my corn snake a rat pinky tonight. He took it no problem but, I was wondering if this is OK? He was eating fuzzy mice and they seemed too small (especially this batch from Petco). I had some leftover (not old) rat pinkies that I feed to my BP. I decided to try it and see if he would take it. Should I go back to mice for him? Do the rats have enough calcium in their bones (being so small) or not? I do not want to do anything that isn't as healthy for my corn.

Rats are fine for corns. I feed mine both, switching back and forth between mice and rats. A small rat pinky is about the same as a mouse fuzzy. Then a medium rat pinky is about like a hopper, and so on.

I agree with Bobo's Mama as I feed my corns both. I also know a breeder over here that has found that when he feeds his breeding females a higher proportion of rat pups than mice, they produce more eggs with a higher fertility rate so maybe there's a link.

rats ok too

my adult corns get rat weanlings of proper size, subadults get pups. Occasionally switch up with mice or chicks.

rats ok too

my adult corns get rat weanlings of proper size, subadults get pups. Occasionally switch up with mice or chicks.

A lot of people say rats contain far more nutrition than mice.I certainly see it in my bp's,the steady rat eaters grow faster.My corns that are ready for them get them asap.I also find there not out looking for food compared to eating a sm mouse or hopper.They even look meatier.

Back