• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding Schedule Question

Karoni

Cornaholic
How do you know when to stop feeding your snakes every week and move them to more of an adult feeding schedule? (I've read adult males every 10-14 days; I'm not sure about adult females that are pet snakes and not breeders. Same schedule?) Is this determined by the snake's weight? Thanks!

For my, as food size increases, so feeding frequency decreases. Once mine reach adult (large) mice, the feeding schedule goes down to one every 14 days. If they start to get thinner then feeding frequency increases to one every 10 days. If they start to get chubby then it's one every 21 days.

So for me, it's determined by the food size, not the snake's size. If a Corn is big enough to eat large mice, then it's near enough adult sized anyway (regardless of age).

Thanks, Bitsy. So you feed your non-breeding females on the same schedule as your males? I was worrying that my snakes would be starving and I wouldn't know it if I bumped them to 14 days, but I see what you are saying about if they get thinner then you know they aren't getting enough food.

Just to add on to this I just moved mine to fuzzies the lump isn't to big so how often should I feed him.

So you feed your non-breeding females on the same schedule as your males?
Yep, most are on one large mouse every 14 days. However I have a couple of males who run to fat even on that. They either get one large mouse every 21 days or sometimes 1 small mouse a fortnight if it's more convenient for my feeding schedule.

I was worrying that my snakes would be starving and I wouldn't know it if I bumped them to 14 days, but I see what you are saying about if they get thinner then you know they aren't getting enough food.
It's certainly much easier to get muscle back on a thin snake, than it is to get flab off an overweight snake. I prefer mine on the lean side for that reason. Because Corns are evolved to go without food for weeks and months at a time, it's very unlikely that a conscientious owner would starve a Corn with any kind of monitored feeding regime. Whilst I wouldn't do it, I knew one long-time Corn keeper who fed his adult males and non-breeding females one large mouse a month - I honestly couldn't see anything wrong with the snakes. They were all a decent size, were alert and healthy, had good muscle tone and were clearly nowhere near starving.

I just moved mine to fuzzies the lump isn't to big so how often should I feed him.
With fuzzies, I feed one ever 6-7 days. Don't be too keen to move him up a size if he's only just switched. It's better to have them grow slowly - in my experience they seem less likely to run to fat as adults if they do that.

Back