• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

feeding snake????

fleapop

ok so i was here a few weeks ago. i still have this snake. and i need to feed it. I tried taking it out of the cage 2 times already and it keeps attacking me. i already thawed 2 mice to give to it. what should i do? i cant get it out of the cage to put into the tub i would feed it in.

HELP ASAP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.
Thanks

For starters, if you feed live to it it could be more aggressive. Likewise, if you only take it out to feed, it will be aggressive. Has it shed yet? Is the skin duller? Is the behavior usual? If it isn't usual and has duller skin, it is likley going into a shed. You could just use a snake hook to pick it up. If you don't have one, you can try a clothes hanger- make sure the end is dull and not at all pointed!

he has only eaten frozen as far as i know. i already thawed 2 mice for him but now i cant get him out of the cage and he is 'hunting' inside his cage.

All the other times i have tried taking this snake out to handle it has attacked me. it is also a very long snake. almost 4 feet. so I am a little wary of its wiggling everywhere and ability to bit me from just about anywhere i hold it.

Should I just drop these already frozen mice in the cage with it? or should i try to get it out agian? I am worried that i am just extremely stressing this snake as i am getting extremely stressed trying to get it out.

Hmm... Perhaps you shouldn't have gotten such a large snake. If it is, as you said, nearly four feet long then it is at least 3 years. When a snake is sold at such an old age, it could easily mean it wasn't held often. I usually buy my corns at 3-6 months.

I would just feed him in his cage. I don't feed out of viv, and I don't have issues. Let him eat in his cage, and then after two days just reach in there and grab him to start handling. If he is attacking you he is afraid of you. You just need to be persistent in handling, and if he bites you, just keep handling so he doesn't make it into a habit. Gloves could help if you're worried, but corn bites are not too terrible. :) good luck! I have a slightly aggressive snake too, so I may be able to offer advise on how to get him to relax. I also work with the more aggressive snakes in my classroom so that they become handleable. You can always use a stick to keep his head away from you while you pick him up, I can almost assure you that once you're holding him he'll calm down.

First what kind of snake are we talking about. Since this is a Corn snake forum I will assume it is a Corn snake. Put the mice on a paper plate and let it eat off the plate.

Next, you need to tame the snake down by handling it. Since you are to scared to get bitten go out and buy a pair of gloves and handle that sucker or sell or give it to someone who will handle it or you may want to get a 18" to 2 foot snake hook to handle him with. I have a grown Cal. king that all it does is try and does bite me every week when I feed him but after I get hold of him sometimes does calm down long enough for me to trust him and get bitten again. The bites are a little painful but really do not hurt in my opinion. Then again I have so many pains that a snake bite is the lest of my pains.

Fatman

Another piece of advice - if you're not already using them get feeding tongs as that will further disassociate your hands as food. I was not following this advice and got nipped yesterday when she was eating for the first time. Startled me for sure, but it was nothing. Corn bites are like tiny needles, leave almost no marks.

this exactly, you should just go ahead and feed then in two days start with a pillow case and reach in to grab him with one hand, or a glove. after you take them out let them cruise but hold on and get him used to it. handle for about 2-5 mins and put him back slowly. dont worry about getting bit, trust me! my first bite was a full on feeding bite and it was nothing! and it was from my adult female anery :3 If anything it will be a badge of pride, and dont flinch away, you can hurt their teeth! practice practice! it takes some effort and the bite just startle you, they dont do a whole lot of damage. good luck and keep trying! dont give up :) if anything youll have sweet pics later of some snake bites!

Thank you Thank you thank YOU!@!!!!

So yeah, since i had already thawed the mice i Ended up just giving them to him. he ate them very quickly. I plan on getting some welding gloves from a friend in a day or so. today i thought i was going to just pick him up and make him deal. and i was all about it, until i actually picked part of him up and out pops his head and wiggling body all ready to attack.

this snake is also almost 4 feet long. And....he is a rescue, so I would really like to be able to make him more handleable and get myself more able to handle snakes better. Then maybe I can find a new home for him. I am all about rescuing and re-habilitating. soooooo hopefully we can do that!

I think the thing i am most worried about is getting bit, freaking out, dropping the snake, and then the snake escaping somewhere in my animal filled house! LOL That is the main reason i seem to be having issues. I would feel extremely terirble if this guy escaped because i flinched too hard and then out come all the other animals to investigate and end up harming the snake or getting harmed themselves. anyways......Thank you all again!!! I will let you know what i try in a few days.

Thank you Thank you thank YOU!@!!!!

So yeah, since i had already thawed the mice i Ended up just giving them to him. he ate them very quickly. I plan on getting some welding gloves from a friend in a day or so. today i thought i was going to just pick him up and make him deal. and i was all about it, until i actually picked part of him up and out pops his head and wiggling body all ready to attack.

this snake is also almost 4 feet long. And....he is a rescue, so I would really like to be able to make him more handleable and get myself more able to handle snakes better. Then maybe I can find a new home for him. I am all about rescuing and re-habilitating. soooooo hopefully we can do that!

I think the thing i am most worried about is getting bit, freaking out, dropping the snake, and then the snake escaping somewhere in my animal filled house! LOL That is the main reason i seem to be having issues. I would feel extremely terirble if this guy escaped because i flinched too hard and then out come all the other animals to investigate and end up harming the snake or getting harmed themselves. anyways......Thank you all again!!! I will let you know what i try in a few days.

ha, yeah i totally understand! So, when i first got bit, it was a feeding bite and she latched on the whole way! But! it didnt hurt almost at all, and i didnt flinch. it was more like an "ow youre pinching me" feeling and less of a really painful strike. who knows too, your corn might not actually even give you a bite and might just head but you. my milks do that all the time :p good luck!

My vicious vanishing stripe has nose bumped me more times than I can remember, but has only bitten twice.

Welding gloves are an overkill, just some plain work gloves or woolen will do the trick. Rehabbing animals is always difficult; if this is your first snake, you are in for a challenge. Spend some time beside the tank snake watching; pretend you are a snake and don't move. Let the snake become accustomed to you. When go in to get him use a determined motion and scoop him out, few minutes in the hands and back in the tank. This will take months, but reconditioning any animal takes time.

My 3.5' male amel tagged my hand during feeding. Didn't hurt at all, even though I bled a tiny bit. I did flinch, but that was because I wasn't expecting it and it shocked me!! (had never been tagged before!)

It took almost 6 months for my most aggressive corn to calm down around me. But, finally I can hold her.

Just be patient. Try to not be scared. Grab onto the snake with determination. Grab quickly and firmly before it has a chance to think about attacking. It will take time. It sounds like one lucky snake to have someone who will rehab it. :)

Back