• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding the snake in cage?

vertigofm

Ok I have read numerous times that feeding your snake in the cage is a bad idea because it causes the snake to think that every time you open the cage food is coming. But I have some problems with this and wanted to know your opinions. One, I feed Herman (my snake) by holding the thawed and warmed mouse by the tail with gloves on and letting him strike it from my hand, I have to do this because if I don't wiggle it he won't go for it. Two, when I take him out normally, without food he seems normal, he doesn't strike my hand (unless he's shedding and milky). So is it really a bad idea that I do this? Oh and also, is this normal- if I go in there with my bare hands he freaks out and hisses and will strike. But if I use the gloves he just tries to get away, when I get him out with the gloves I can go bare handed and he won't bite- unless he's pissed. Did I just get a mad corn snake? He's not too friendly and hasn't been since I got him as a hatchling, he is now a year old. Or will this pass when he reaches his full size?

Thanks for help with this comprehensive question!

Frank

I think the idea of associating a cage opening with food my apply to some snakes with a stronger feeding response, like boas. I think it's a myth when it comes to corn snakes. I'm pretty sure that mine associate being put in a tub with food because when I put them in a tub they just sit there. On any other surface the would slither away. However, I never have had one strike at my hand. They focus too much on smell to mistake a clean hand for a mouse IMHO.
I can't say if he'll become more tame but It's likely that he will yet tame down.

I feed all my snakes in their tanks and their feeding response largely depends on the feeding schedule I keep them on and ultimately whenever they are hungry despite when I normally feed them. I think any snake that gets hungry enough is going to have a feeding/hunger response even when you pass by the tank because of the common association of you bringing it food. I don't necessarily believe that they will react with that same type of behavior every time you open the tank if you open it frequently enough for continual maintenance outside of feeding ie. changing water, cleaning out stools, handling, etc...

In regards to wearing gloves feeding your snake, I would change this to using tongs or vascular clamps that way they don't necessarily associate your hand with food, gloved or not. And plus, if they should miss hitting the mouse and get the glove instead, then you have a new issue to contend with. I use vascular clamps for the very same reason of moving the mouse so the snake becomes interested in it as some of my snakes won't take to non-moving prey.

I've fed in the cage as well without a problem. As long as you open the cage for other things such as cleaning, water changes, or to handle the animal, they won't associate cage opening with feeding. I feed all mine now out of the cage, and I can tell you they know when it's feeding time. I usually feed at the same time with a low light on. They know when that light comes on and I'm opening cages...it's food time. I always feed larger animals with tongs.

I also feed in the cage and have never had a misunderstanding. I am opening cages more than once a day though, and feeding only once a week (less for some).. So it would be a very odd association to make.

I don't that is the real issue with feeding in the cage. The issue is possible ingestion of substrate and impaction.

Flagg said:
I don't that is the real issue with feeding in the cage. The issue is possible ingestion of substrate and impaction.
I agree, I used to think corns would be protective of their space and feeding area, but not so anymore. I know my bigger corns can smell a mouse thawing and become very active as if they are waiting to get out to eat. I have tried all methods of feeding found on this forum and for a while I would put the mouse in the feeding tub in the viv, until one female dragged the mouse and ran, I was trying to get the mouse and bedding out of her mouth and she was trying to eat the mouse, it was very funny after it was all over but I never risk the snake being anywhere near bedding and food at the same time. susan

Flagg said:

This is one of the main reasons why I use rabbit pellets for substrate instead of wood shavings :rolleyes:

these threads always really get on my nervs......i can see both arguments have got points but i think feeding in cage is the best argument beacause if you go straight in and pick up the snake it nows its not being fed,and if you wait a couple of seconds it will learn food is coming

this my point of veiw tho
p.s also people wich have burms and retics hook rain there animals that ts them not food

joel

I feed one of my Kings and my Corn in a seperate container. But my other King, for some reason, won't eat unless it's in its tank. With her, I make sure her mouse is dry to minimize the chances of of substrate sticking to it. I also feed with long tongs so she doesn't associate my bare fingers for food.

Back