• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding trouble. How worried should I be?

Menher

Menher
Hi folks.
Jasper my 2 year old male corn has refused to eat again today. This makes it now nearly 3 weeks since his last meal. Up untill a couple of months ago he was merrily eating a medium sized adult mouse once a week. About 8 weeks ago he refused a meal but I tempted him with 2 smaller mice a couple of days later.

He last shed a fortnight ago so that isn't the problem. I have tried popping the mice open with a knife to make them more attractive and leaving them with him overnight; I even tried scaling down all the way to pinks but he is just not having it.

He is otherwise in great shape and as active as he has ever been.

The bottom line is how long can a 2 year old snake go without feeding before I get a vet on the job?

Three weeks is nothing. You shouldn't be worried at all everything sounds fine.
He's a boy, it's the season of love and it sounds like he just went on a little hunger strike. As hard as it is not to worry it's completely natural.

No worries mate.

It is breeding time, spring is in the air. A boys mind turns to things best left unsaid.

A two year old snake can go 3 or 4 months without food. Even longer but not a good idea.

Give him time. Offer food once a week but don't sweat it if he doesn't take it. Soon enough he will remember food with his other head.

Don't worry yet. Do a base weight of your snake, and weigh once a month to monitor its condition. Check and recheck your husbandry, temps etc. Is there more disturbance around the viv? Many male snakes go on hunger strike this time of year while their sap is rising, so offer food in the usual way once a week or so. (I actually only offer the boys once a fortnight in spring, saces throwing so many mice away)

Out of 9 males, only my Syko is eating. On feeding night I thaw only enough for him and the females, then offer the males food first. If any take it, I thaw more!

Jasper my 2 year old male corn has refused to eat again today. This makes it now nearly 3 weeks since his last meal.

Aww - Your baby's growing up. Congratulations - you're the proud Dad of a teenage boy, with all the complications that entails!

As the others have said, this is typical for a sexually mature male Corn at this time of year. Some of them will eat through the mating season, but others (probably the majority) refuse food for weeks or even months.

They don't need to be anywhere near a female to "get the urge", so it'll happen even if he's the only Corn in your street.

What about young corns? I got my first refusal from my young male last night. Up until this point he has never refused to eat,even during sheds, though the last few times he seemed somewhat reluctant. He was purchased on september 16 2007, and born in july of that year if I remember correctly, so he is not even a year old yet.

DUDE 123.
I can't help but if you look at the top notch advice I got from everyone here then you should soon be sorted.

Thanks a million everyone.

That's young to go off. The youngest I've had corns go off food is 18 months. One or even two refusals is nothing though. He could be approaching shed and doesn't feel like eating.

Back