• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

FEEDING TUBS ????

ozymandias

i use aspen and should i put my corn in a seperate tube to feed and how long should i wait to move it back into the viv cause the snake can be sick if you mover them afer eating ????

I wait until the feed bump is towards the middle of the snake.... as to how long that is... depends on the snake. Takes Kieran about 10 minutes to eat his rat pup... takes Nicevenn about 30 min to finish her weaned mouse off... of course, Kieran chows down immediately and Nicevenn has to check out her surroundings first. I found that she doesn't spend so much time looking around if I put her on the ironing board with clothes around her. Guess she feels more secure that way. Still takes her a good 20min to finish her meal and it barely leaves a bump, so it's not that it's too big for her.

Each snake is going to be different :)

I am no expert by far, but I would put your snake in a deli cup with the lid on with the food. Then I would put the container in the cage incase of escape and leave it for awhile. Whenever you check back if the snake ate simply take the lid off the cup and let him/her decide when they want to get out. Hope this helps!!

I usually wait about half an hour after his last pinkie ( he has 2) before i put mine back into his viv, but i let hem slither onto my hand, lift his head up and support his tail end with other hand and place him back in his home :D

he's only a yearling,about 2 foot

hope this helped

Kev

sorry for double post, dont put any substrate in his feeding box/tub he/she can swallow it which isnt good for him/her do a search on "impaction":

sorry again for double post

I am no expert by far, but I would put your snake in a deli cup with the lid on with the food. Then I would put the container in the cage incase of escape and leave it for awhile. Whenever you check back if the snake ate simply take the lid off the cup and let him/her decide when they want to get out. Hope this helps!!

Deli cups only work for very young snakes, so depending on the size of your snake, use an appropriately sized container. Most of mine (other than my adults) are fed in plastic shoe boxes that you can find for around $1 at Walmart or Target.

I wait until the feed bump is towards the middle of the snake.... as to how long that is... depends on the snake.

Exactly. This is what I do as well.

I usually wait about half an hour after his last pinkie ( he has 2) before i put mine back into his viv, but i let hem slither onto my hand, lift his head up and support his tail end with other hand and place him back in his home :D

he's only a yearling,about 2 foot

hope this helped

Kev

Sorry to even ask on this thread, but why is he only eating pinkies? I have about 20 yearlings, all of whom are eating at least fuzzies, and most are eating hoppers once a week with no problem.

Sorry to even ask on this thread, but why is he only eating pinkies? I have about 20 yearlings, all of whom are eating at least fuzzies, and most are eating hoppers once a week with no problem.

I have an 07 that is still eating pinkies! He's only 12grams. He's only regurged once, in the beginning wouldn't eat while blue, but now never misses a meal, but just isn't putting any weight on. He looks and acts healthy, but I may take him in to a vet to just make sure nothing else is going on with him. I bought him when he was just 3 or 4 weeks old. He is growing somewhat slowly lengthwise. I know he may be the exception, not the rule, but I wouldn't say he should be on hoppers without more information on this particular snake. Good catch though.

Just caught that he is about 2ft that's only 24"... so he may or may not be up to something bigger, perhaps a very small hopper. Interesting that 2 ft sounds much bigger :)

Just caught that he is about 2ft that's only 24"... so he may or may not be up to something bigger, perhaps a very small hopper. Interesting that 2 ft sounds much bigger :)

Most of mine are right around 2 ft as well, which is why I asked. My smallest is only around 33g (she's obviously eating smallish fuzzies), and my largest is 160g (eating weanlings). So it definitely depends on the snake, 2 ft just sounds like it should be getting something a touch more substantial than pinkies.

And 12g?! What a teeny little thing!! :) I think that's how my little charcoal is going to be, he's a whopping 8g now and a few months old. All of his siblings (and half siblings) that I have are around 15g. Funny how that happens. Slow starters I guess.... :shrugs:

And 12g?! What a teeny little thing!! :) I think that's how my little charcoal is going to be, he's a whopping 8g now and a few months old. All of his siblings (and half siblings) that I have are around 15g. Funny how that happens. Slow starters I guess.... :shrugs:

Yeah, he's been 12grams for months... hate to spend the money when he looks and acts so healthy, but better to be on the safe side I guess. Maybe I'll call the vet and see what he says.

My new charcoal is 6grams, but I hope he grows a lot faster than Gunn... another one this slow will definitely increase the numbers of grey hair :)

Yeah, he's been 12grams for months... hate to spend the money when he looks and acts so healthy, but better to be on the safe side I guess. Maybe I'll call the vet and see what he says.

My new charcoal is 6grams, but I hope he grows a lot faster than Gunn... another one this slow will definitely increase the numbers of grey hair :)

Hope the little fellow is alright!! Maybe he's just got some belly bugs or something that can be taken care of easily. Or even better, hopefully he's just a late bloomer.

Even at 8g, he's a PIG!!! He eats better than most of my little kiddlings. How's the feeding response of yours? (I think they're brothers :)...but we discovered that last week I believe).

Hope the little fellow is alright!! Maybe he's just got some belly bugs or something that can be taken care of easily. Or even better, hopefully he's just a late bloomer.

Even at 8g, he's a PIG!!! He eats better than most of my little kiddlings. How's the feeding response of yours? (I think they're brothers :)...but we discovered that last week I believe).

He eats well enough, once he settles down... he tends to be on the spastic side when handled... although he's not got a problem with coming out and laying in the open when it apparently when he thinks it's feeding time. I even got some great shots of him laying there and the flash didn't send him scurrying at all. Need to make more time to handle him, although as tiny as he is, it probably would be better to hold off until he's bigger. I'm afraid I'm going to squish him :)

I don't handle mine too much either because he's so little. He's pleasant enough when handled that I'm sure it will be no trouble to just leave him be for a bit. As of now, he lives in the same tub that he's fed in (same with all of my 08s) on paper towels, so he doesn't come out too much, just when I clean and do water.

I wait a couple of minutes after the pink is in the stomach and then just move mine back. Never had a regurge problem.

I have always made a habit of feeding in the enclosure and tend to do the same with my corns, I always use newspaper as subtrate so there is no concern about them swallowing anything they shouldn't. Some of my other snakes have extreme feeding responses and I don't want to get nailed or cause any undue stress so i don't handle them at all for about 2 days after feeding.

Back