• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding underweight snake?

lavender420

Recently one of my friends has asked me to take his snake in, as he can no longer care for her. She should be around 3 or 4 years now. My friend has admitted he hasn't been feeding her regularly, and she does look a little underweight. I don't have her yet, so I'm not sure how much she weighs exactly, but I will weigh her as soon as I get her.
My question is: If the snake is underweight, does the Munson feeding plan still work? (This is the plan I go by to feed my own snake.) Should I feed her more so she fattens up? I'm not the most experienced in rehabilitating underweight snakes, so any insight would be appreciated.

I started my carpet that was a little underweight when I got her on medium rats which would be her correct size (previous owner fed her baby chicks, less mass than a medium rat, and a lot less nutrients). She regurgitated the rat from the size even tho she is big enough to take it. I am going to feed her a small rat and see how that goes. I'm not experienced either with rehab, this is just my recent experiences.

I would start smaller than normal and work your way up. If the snake is severely underweight, it also probably wouldn't hurt to add Nutribac to the meal and slit the mouse's back for faster and easier digestion.

I learned that real quick, mine is underweight and I wished I would have known to feed her a little smaller of a rat.

I feed my carpet python tomorrow, will be first feeding since she regurged, this will also only be the second feeding since I got her. Let you know how smaller prey goes, hopefully goes well.

We got our corn from some one who was under feeding her. I started with what they were feeding (pinkies) and then started shorter time between feelings (6 or 7 days). After a month of that I moved up in size or went with 2 pinkies.

Luckily she is a good eater and we haven't had any problems. She has gained weight and doing better. It would be nice to have a Munson plan for underweight snakes since this seems to be needed by a lot of people.

We did slice the back of the mice before theming hoping it would help with digestion. We've had her 3.5 months now and she is doing well.

Fed my carpet python last night, fed her a small rat, so far so good. She actually struck and constricted this time. Last time she spent all of her time on the cool side after feeding, this time it's a little on the warm side and a little on the cool.

I would definitely go with smaller food, fed my carpet the other day and she kept it down this time. Makes me very very happy

How often should an underweight snake be fed? She ate a small rat on the 18th. She is 3 years old and now weighs 1090 grams compared to the 1140 grams she weighed a month ago (which she was also underweight then). I think 7-8 days is a good enough time between meals but was looking for other opinions. I only worry because she regurgitated in the past month.

How often should an underweight snake be fed? She ate a small rat on the 18th. She is 3 years old and now weighs 1090 grams compared to the 1140 grams she weighed a month ago (which she was also underweight then). I think 7-8 days is a good enough time between meals but was looking for other opinions. I only worry because she regurgitated in the past month.

Asked and answered already. No need to post a question twice, especially in the same topic and REALLY especially if it doesn't have anything to do with corn snakes! :poke:

First if all it's wasn't answered but thank you anyway, guess everyone needs to stop asking or posting anything about any other snake if it's not a corn. I asked here and it didn't get answered so I made a new thread. I will let everyone know not to post non corn snake related topics, good day.

First if all it's wasn't answered but thank you anyway, guess everyone needs to stop asking or posting anything about any other snake if it's not a corn. I asked here and it didn't get answered so I made a new thread. I will let everyone know not to post non corn snake related topics, good day.

Thank you, much appreciated. You can tell them all to post in the "General" section.

Back