• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

FEEDING

TONY

HI

I HAVE HAD MY SNAKE FOR 3DAYS NOW IT IS NOT FEEDING
I GAVE IT A PINCKY AND IT JUST LICKED AND LEFT.

THIS IS MY FIRST SNAKE SO I DONT NO MUCH ABOUT THEM.

ANY1 GOT ANY ADDVICE?

THANKS

TONY

Last edited:
right, first bit of advice is to remove the capslock from your keyboard :)
this is simple forum etiquette - captial letters are hard on the eyes and not pleasant to read and, in many cases are seen as a SUBSTITUTE FOR SHOUTING!
second bit of advice is to remove your axact address from you profile - its not a good idea to give out any significant personal details over the net , eg address, phone number, credit card numbers etc :). there are some real weirdo`s online and it does pay to be careful
thirdly, about your snake.
you`ve had for three days right? do you know when it was last fed? its regular feeding patterns? i`ve had my first cornsnake for just 4 days now - introduced it thursday afternoon and let it acclimatise overnight. Hnalded it frday morning and friday evening. Handled it Saturday morning and fed it 2 pinkies towards saturday lunchtime, which it ate immediately. the 2 significant things here are that the snake as already happy in its surroundings and second, was being fed its normal food at its normal time.
so i guess the things that stop your snake feeding are most likely
- its not yet happy in its new home
- it wasnt hungry

other things that could put if off its dinner could be either a very low temp at feeding time or perhaps it`s going into shed, in which case you`ll notice the colours pale and the eyes turn a milky blue.
or then again maybe its an "assist" feeder (unusual with corns though i gather) - my local store has a couple of royal pythons which wont eat unless they think the pinkies are alive ,in which case they strike and coil , constricting the pinkie before swallowing.

just have a look around these forums for a while and i think you`ll pick up loads of info - its only 2 weeks since i decided i wanted a snake - in that time i`ve researched the animal, its keeping, its health, set up a vivarium, bought the animal and are now enjoying it immensely and confidently, all thanks to the people here and there posts and advice.

Woooh, It's been a while but I'm back :D

OK, many people (I hope) will agree with me when I say that you should give a new snake several days to settle in before feeding or handling. This gives the snake time to get used to its new home and to become comfortable. If the temps are fine (aprx. 75 degrees in the cool end and 85 the other) then the snake will eat when it wants, unless of course, it's ill. There's absolutely nothing to worry about if it's only been three days as snakes can go weeks and weeks without a meal and still be fine. My advise to you would be to leave the snake alone for three days and then try again.

feeding

hi

if my snakes about 1year old should i start feeding it bigger pinckys or not?

thanks for all your help

tony

Corn snake hatchlings, yearlings, and even 2 yr olds can vary alot in size from one individual to another. The best way to determine what size pinky/fuzzy/etc to feed your corn is to pick a prey item that is as big around as your snake is at it's widest part.

yes

The red bulbs for nighttime use work just like the blue or "purple" lights. :)

bmm

Tony,

Welcome to the forum. To sum up what everyone (and maybe myself too) is saying...

1. Get the cornsnake manual (www.corn-utopia.com).

2. Food should be no larger than 1.5 times as wide as the largest part of your snake

3. You need to give 3-7 days of stressfree roaming time in it's new enclosure before you handle or feed it. Generally it's good to feed after 3-5 days then handle once the mouse is mostly digested.

4. Undertank heaters are preferable to Heat lights, but if you have to use a heat light, you don't need UVA/UVB bulbs. Color doesn't matter with heating lights. You can even use a regular light bulb.

5. It's gernerally quite difficult to buy live pinkies and it's not a good practice to feed live food to your snake anyways. Stick to Frozen/Thawed Mice

6. If you have a yearling you should be probably feeding at least fuzzies. But go by the rule in #2.

As far as when you feed it, try doing it in a dim room, and try cutting open the head to show the brains.

The Corn Snake Manual will have a great description on how to feed corns.

Hope this helped a bit!

Back