• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeling a bit silly... mouse problem!

Plissken

Crazy Snail Lady
So I realised yesterday that I have an invasion of mice living in my property. In the loft/attic, and also in the cavity of the kitchen wall, it seems...

Not only can I (and my cats) hear them running about at night, but I was up in the loft last night fetching a few boxes of bears (I'm a proud arctophile) which had been put in to storage for a while. Imagine my horror at discovering that the mice had literally chewed a large part of my collection to pieces, to the extent that I was picking up one-armed and one-eared bears. Needless to say I was a little upset... although happy that none of the Steiff guys were up there! :eek1:

The mice in the kitchen are driving my cats mad because they can hear them in the wall space but can't figure out where they are.

So I am sort of annoyed and not sure what to do about the mice. It doesn't help that I am still unwell and do not best fancy clambering about in the loft trying to rescue everything remotely chewable. ;)

I just feel a bit silly having a mouse problem when I have 2 cats and 3 snakes in the house with me. :rofl:

Anyone have any experience with these furry horrors?

Well my parents have had mice before, but my cat always did the trick! I'm sorry to hear about your bears though!

I might try some sort of safe trap with peanut butter to lure them in... good luck!

this one time the mouse was actually like a inch away from each other and no eating was going on so then i read online if you dont feed your cat as much food as usually it most likely will go after the mouse....im not saying starve the poor cat tho

We had a mouse or rat once.... set traps, traps were hit but no death occurred. After the traps were hit we never heard anything again nor did we see any more evidence.

Ha, probably a rat!

I had a rat escape one night, we have three cats and a dog. The cats went around the box a time or two but it was the dog that was more persistant in getting the rat out. If the mice are that bad traps or those sticky traps. I would worry about poisin as that would be the time the cat caught a mouse. I know this isn't much help sorry.

So I am sort of annoyed and not sure what to do about the mice. It doesn't help that I am still unwell and do not best fancy clambering about in the loft trying to rescue everything remotely chewable. ;)

I just feel a bit silly having a mouse problem when I have 2 cats and 3 snakes in the house with me. :rofl:

Anyone have any experience with these furry horrors?

Snap traps baited with peanut butter placed along the edges of areas where you see/hear activity.

Thanks all,

There is simply no way for the cats to get in to the loft. Even I can't get up there without a looong ladder and then once you're up there, there's a very stiff 'trapdoor' which needs to be shoved upwards.

I would prefer to catch the mice humanely if possible, but then I have the problem of what to do once I've caught them... I can't think of anywhere around here I could release them, and furthermore, how to prevent mice simply coming back again. Since I'm moving this year, there seems little point in spending a fortune turning my loft in to a mousey fortress...

I think they are probably nesting up there as they seemed to have run off with quite a lot of toy stuffing. :shrugs:

Back