• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Female Attractive After 2nd Shed?

tcorley

I have a 7-year old big mama amel and a hunky okeetee phase male. Both were brumated for 10 weeks or so, and I woke them up about a month ago. They've been eating like pigs, and the female just shed. I put the male in with her and both snakes seemed bored -- certainly not in the mood. My question is this: Is it OK to take the male out now and assume the female will smell sexy after her next shed? or, do females start exuding pheromones in between sheds? Just curious if anyone knows the answer . . .

Many of my females aren't "sexy" immediately after their first shed. Most of the time, the males start to get interested closer to a week after the female sheds, but it can vary quite a bit from one female to another, and from year to year. And on occasion, you do have to wait until after the female's second shed.

I would recommend that you just keep introducing the pair every 2-3 days. When they're ready, you'll know it!

Thanks for the advice

Thanks, Susan. I'll take your advice. As it turns out, the male has just started to be restless -- I wonder if he smells the female a few cages away . . .

Back