• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Female May Need Help....

richm2778

Hi Guys,

My female laid her clutch of eggs last weekend. She is a large and heavy rat snake. Her clutch was 12 eggs, and I think four went south because I was away when she laid the eggs. Anyway, I have fed my girl 3 rat pups since last weekend. She anxiously gulped them down, but I did not want to overfeed her. I am concerned because she is looking very weak. Her body is hollow feeling, of course, but her skin looks bad and she seems a bit sluggish. If need be, I will bring her to the vet, but I wanted to check first if this is common behavior. Thanks for any help or advice you can provide!

Rich

Can you feel eggs still in her? I would give her a good soak in warmish water it'll hydrate her which she may need and maybe prod the movement of any left over eggs.

I have held her and she has no lumps at all. In fact, she seems super empty. She pooped today too. I will feed her again tomorrow, but only 1 rat pup. She'll get a nice soak later as well. Thanks for the advice.

I have a question. Is that how a female is supposed to feel after laying the clutch, empty? Is it sort of like how a squishy snake like a hoggy or a rosy feels???

Sounds like she is going into post lay shed. My corns had their clutches on 4-10 afterwards they looked like hell, dehydrated ect. they refused food and are currently in shed, they are coming out of blue and look a lot better. They will shed in a couple days and will resume feeding.
Laying those eggs is no easy task, figure it's the same as if a human were to have 10 kids with no c-section! Let her recuperate and shed. she will be good as new :)

If she's had 3 rat pups this week I would feed again in a few days and just make sure she is hydrated. I felt all squishy and weak after giving birth twice- she'll bounce back!

You said your snake was a large heavy rat snake. What kind of ratsnake? Some of the ratsnakes will mother their eggs for a while like a python does. They go through a period of lethargy after laying their eggs where they stay with the clutch. I have a large Taiwan Beauty ratsnake that stayed coiled around her eggs for 4 days after she laid. I finally took the eggs and put them in an incubator. She as coiled herself up in the water bowl and hasn’t moved for 3 days. I think that is pretty normal for ratsnakes.

If you can run your thumb down her belly and she feels empty, it is most likely because she is.

She is a Leucistic Texas Rat Snake. I have her in a smaller tub now, and she seems to be better. I think she just needed some rest. Also, I fed her a small rat yesterday and she took it. I think she needs to shed and then she'll be fine. She may even doubleclutch

Back