• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Fernando and his empty viv

Rudy

Well due to pressure from higher ups in the forum :p I decided to take some pictures of Fernando, now granted they aren't the greatest pics ever you'll have to live with it... why? Cause I have to :p These pics were taken off of a crummy camera phone camera. So I hope these will suffice you guys!
f0.jpg

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

f3.jpg

f4.jpg

f5.jpg

I know his viv is lacking... Friday I'll be getting more goods for his home

Cool, lotsa room. You can stick a toilet paper roll or a small box in there temporarily as a hide.

Hi Rudy, welcome to the forum :D

Nice little Amel you've got there too!

Could I make a suggestion? Until you get more "goods" for his home, can you find some very small boxes or paper towel rolls (the inside cardboard tube bit, cut in half length wise), so you can give him some more hides to hide in. He could get rather stressed if he can't find a cosy place to hide, at the temperature he feels comfortable in :)

It's usually recommended to have at least 2 hides, one on the warm end and one on the cool end, I usually go for 3 or more and the tighter the fit the better, they like to feel snug and cosy inside the hide :)

Congrats on your new addition!

Best wishes,

I just put in a empty roll of TP and introduced Fernando to it, he appearantly has taken a liking to it seeing as he hiding in there right now :) Thanks for the sound advice

Adorable little boy!

I've got to look into getting aspen for Jazz. She's on papertowel right now but I figure I know what a poop looks like now!

TP and PT rolls have to be the cheapest viv additions ever. Most people throw them out anyway! Jasper's got a paper towel tube with a hole cut in it, and i'm waiting to get a small TP tube to replace the stupid plastic boston plant that I used to keep in there.

How long do you guys think Fernando is? I am guessing anywhere between 10-14" long... It's impossible to straighten a snake out to measure it I try to coax him in a straight line... but then he just goes any which way he pleases

Still trying to figure out how to do that to Jasper! I'm afraid of hurting her.

She looks about 6 inches long or more, but it's just a guess. Not much i can compare her with, size-wise, by sight alone.

Great looking snake, very pretty

I have a suggestion for your viv. When you go to buy more things for his viv I suggest getting and under tank heater rather then the ceramic heat emitter.

I do have an under tank heater. I have the ceramic on when I run my AC unit because I don't like to sweat... Wisconsin weather can get pretty beastly! Is the ceramic heater that bad for tanks? Can I also have an infrared light/heater on my tank as well?

Well I unplugged and removed the ceramic heater. Can I get an infrared heater/light for the top of my tank?

Rudy, if your weather is really beastly, i.e. really cold in winter, then it will be ok to use a ceramic heating element. I used to use ceramics for my corns tanks over here in the UK, before I had central heating, when the ambient temperature would drop below 65*F and I used under tank heat mats in the summer. (I now have central heating and only use UTH's)

If you do use the ceramic just make sure it is regulated by a good thermostat, so it won't over heat, and get a finer mesh cage for it, so your corn can't get anywhere near the element itself. I've seen first hand what damage can be done by an improperly guarded ceramic bulb, when a snake makes contact with it :(

A digital thermometer with a probe on it will also give you accurate temperature readings and allow you to adjust the thermostat accordingly :)

Hope that helps,

I wasn't really telling you that you can not use the Ceramic Heater at all but if you are going to use it don't put it inside the tank.

Back