• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Fertile?

Gorn

My 02 snow female just laid 12 eggs this morning. This is my first time so I'm not quite shure if they are fertile. What do you think?

Attachments

• gaïa_eggsp2060209.jpg
    gaïa_eggsp2060209.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 110
:cheers:

Congratulations on the first clutch, its exciting and worrying all at once.

When my snake had her first clutch (14 eggs) I didn't know if they where 'good' or 'bad' eggs, so I just put them in an incubator and hoped for the best. I had heard good eggs where round and quite big. After a few days the bad eggs (4) had gone mouldy. I read that if the eggs where fused together you could moisten the bad eggs and prise them gently apart, but I didn't do this as I was afraid of harming the remaining eggs. After checking the eggs every few days, sure enough about 56 days after the eggs had been layed they hatched, 10 beautiful babies.

Looking at your attachment I would say my eggs looked very much like yours.

I think you can shine a light through the eggs to see if they are fertile, but I dont know if it has to be a special light, so I hope if anyone else knows they can tell you.

Good Luck.

Get a pice of black paper/card and roll it around the end of a torch. This makes a kind of light beam that if you shine through an egg you can see if its fertile.

Well, apparently you can, Ive never done it myself. I think fertile eggs develop small blood vessels within them which you can see by using this technique. I think its called 'candling', but obviously you wouldnt use a real candle as you end up burning yourself, your house or the egg. Boiled eggs anyone? JK:D :p :D

I got a small penlight, and shone it on the eggs as they lay in the incubation box. (the more you pick the eggs up, the more you invite "Murphy's Law" and disaster (dropping the eggs)... If you try several angles you should find one or a few that will show some nice veins. I felt that the eggs remained "vein-y" until they hatched, with a dark lump always towards the bottom of the egg. I "candled" them within 36 hours of laying, when my step children arrived for the summer, and only then. They all hatched without a problem. Of course these were kingsnake eggs, but aside from size, I think that they are very similar in most respects so can't see the difference with corn eggs.

Thank you all for replying.
I know about the candle trick but I was so nervous and worry about harming the eggs that I didn't take the chance to do it. They're already in the incubator. I'm gonna look at them every few days to see if they turn bad. I'm so curious about what the babies will look like. I'm not shure about the father. She was put with my male blood red just before I exchange him. Then she mate my amel male. So I'm kind of hoping to see normals het bloodred/snow if they do it. I long should I wait before I start to feed the female again. I try a live pinky yesterday a couple hours afther her work but she didn't even look a it.

Hi Gorn,

from what I can tell they look like good eggs to me. Congratulations!
I never candle mine as I would rather be safer, and patient. It won't help me any to know earlier than later. Also there is always the risk of dropping/turning/damaging the egg during the process, and I'd rather not run the risk.

As for feeding, I would offer food regularly and she'll take it as soon as she is ready.

Skye

Thanks Skye!
I hope youre right about the eggs. I'm gonna go for the patience too. I prefer to do as if they are good.;)

Gorn, I can't post this here as it is off-topic, but would you go to the general chit-chat forum and tell me about your african house snake, where you got it, how are they to keep, etc... I have been looking to find someone who kept one of those for a while to talk to.

Good luck with the eggs!! I think patience is the wise option.

Skye

skye, I'd be please to help you with african house snake. I'll start a tread tomorow on the chit chat forum.

Gorn/ Dayne, thank you for your offers.

I shall look forward to learning more in the other forum. Dayne - why not write on the thread that Gorn is going to start. That way, other people can learn too if they are interested. If I PM you, then only I get to benefit from your knowledge.

Thanks, Skye

Back