• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Figured I ought to ask (regurge Qs)

atomic peach

So my 3 week owned bloodred hatchling just regurged and now she's gone "blue" (but not really blue at all? more brown). I'm trying to pin point the reason for the regurge to avoid having it happen again. Any insight is appreciated.

I fed her a pinkie on Wednesday as I did the week before, though I gave it to her right after a handling session so she grabbed it immediately (and then ran into a cardboard tube, lol). I left her be for at least 60 hours and handled her Saturday morning and she seemed fine. I went to handle her again on Sunday afternoon but noticed the regurge near her cool hide (I think it was only digested for 1-1.5 days as it looks like a pink body bag) and that she was hiding in one of her roots (that I can't get her out of) with her eyes slightly cloudy. I couldn't tell if she went dull or not, but I figured I'd just raise the humidity and leave her for a week. So now she sits in that same root and her eyes are not completely clouded over and her colours are a bit washed out by brown/tan.

My main concern is whether she regurged from going blue or from my excessive handling sessions the week prior (up to twice a day for a minute or three). How can one anticipate the snake going blue, especially since mine is never active when I'm awake (at 2 am!!)? I'm going to follow the regurge protocol but should I start feeding her every five days or continue weekly feedings (once she gets back into things)? Also, I noticed on Saturday that she had a defined difference in girth at the vent/tail region; what is that about? Lastly, are bloodreds supposed to go blue or brown or what; Google isn't much help with this Q?

I'd guess she regurged due to going blue. I'd wait to feed her until after she's shed and even then, I'd make sure it had been 10 days since the regurg.

I hope Nanci will sing out, she has this down pat, knows all, sees all, but keeps a few secrets I'm sure!

I'd say she regurged because she was going blue. Feed her a half pink the next two times. Skip the next meal, or don't feed till after she sheds, for sure, and never again when she is blue.

To anticipate blue, first, observe her. If she is always out every night, and then she isn't, she is probably blue. If you go to look for her and she is buried, and not sticking her head up to greet you- probably blue. If you get into the habit of weighing her before every meal, and she gains half to one gram each time, then suddenly she's two grams heavier- she is for sure blue. But with a bloodred, it's very easy to just see, once you've seen the blue state a few times. They just get very dark. THEN the eyes get very blue.

I can't add to Nanci's wonderful advice. I just wanted to encourage you that from one new-snake owner to another, it gets easier to tell when they are going blue.

When my girl shed for us the first time, I noticed NOTHING. Was just surprised to see a shed skin one morning. But after having her for 4 months, I can't imagine not noticing. I notice the instant her belly checkers fade, and her behavior is distinctly different to me NOW.

Good luck!

Back