• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

fine play sand?

owen

Hello.

I am aware that aspen is the best substrate for CS', but i think that white sand is much better looking. So I am just wondering is it safe for the snakes i know its safe for geckos so i assume its good for corns too. Please correct me if im wrong.

owen said:
Hello.

I am aware that aspen is the best substrate for CS', but i think that white sand is much better looking. So I am just wondering is it safe for the snakes i know its safe for geckos so i assume its good for corns too. Please correct me if im wrong.

How attractive something is doesnt make it a good thing...

no sand is NOT suitable substrate for corn snakes... it may be for other reptiles, but NOT corns.

aspen is perfect for many reasons:
easy to spot clean
very cheap
if swallowed, it will usually pass thrugh the snake
and its NON-TOXIC!

Oh because i work at a pet store and today the owner put sand in the viv and i told him he shouldnt do it he should use aspen thanks.

I love aspen...looks nice, easy to get, inexpensive, easy to spot clean and smells "clean". =)

many geckos, including our first leopard, die because of 'sand being safe'. They ingest it and become impacted. I've stopped my local petshop using it after our gecko from there died but they actually listened when I told them why. Then a new employee set up a display viv for a corn with sand. I spoke to the manager, and he's ditched the sand for good. I've got excellent fish, guinea pigs and an african striped grass mouse from them over the years, the fact that we have a reationship built up helps, but it's good that some petshops are willing to listen. I'm hardly their biggest spending customer, but the manager does his best and is now my official favourite shopkeeper.

WHAT i thought sand was the ebst substrate for geckos?....what do u suggest then instead of sand reptile bark?

This should really be addressed on a gecko forum, but as you asked..........Leopards do best on non-particulate substrate such as slate or kitchen roll, I don't know about other geckos. Adults can be kept on wood chips, but there is always going to be risk of impaction. Calcisand etc are NOT safe at all. Again, check out some gecko forums.

Back