• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

First feed failure

8292tom

Last night I attempted my first feed with my new corn snake. It did not go well at all. It has been a week since I got him. Waited for him to get over the stress of the move. Any way last night I thawed a large pinky for him and he was just not interested at all. I jiggled it in front of him and nothing. I just layed it in the smaller critter keeper I plan to use for feeding and nothing after an hour. My questions are how do you keep the snake warm while in a feeding box ? How long should I leave the food in there before I give up and put him back in the viv ? How warm should the food be when I put it in there ? How long should he stay in the feeding box before moving him back to the viv ? Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Sorry so long.

Last night I attempted my first feed with my new corn snake. It did not go well at all. It has been a week since I got him. Waited for him to get over the stress of the move. Any way last night I thawed a large pinky for him and he was just not interested at all. I jiggled it in front of him and nothing. I just layed it in the smaller critter keeper I plan to use for feeding and nothing after an hour.

Done good! Maybe he just needs a little more time? :shrugs:

My questions are how do you keep the snake warm while in a feeding box ?

I wouldn't worry too much about keeping a snake warm, when feeding. Unless it's really cold in your house. Usually feeding is a short period of time.

How long should I leave the food in there before I give up and put him back in the viv ?

About an hour is good. If he keeps giving you a hard time, then try over night.
How warm should the food be when I put it in there ?

about 95-100F That's the average temp of a live rodent.

How long should he stay in the feeding box before moving him back to the viv ?

You can move the snake back to its viv as soon as you notice he is done swallowing and the bump has moved almost half way down his body.

Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Sorry so long.

Since he skipped this feeding, wait at least five days before you try again. Attempting too soon will just stress him out. Don't worry about him not eating, you have time.

Good Luck

Wayne

This is what I would do. Wait four or five days. Do not handle the snake in that time. Feed at or after dusk. In a quiet room. In a tiny container- margerine cup sized or the deli cup the snake came in. Thaw the pink for a minute or two in hot water. Right before placing it in the feeding container, hold it under the HOTTEST water for a few seconds. Cut four slits in the pink's back with a tiny scissors. Put the pink in the container. Get the snake. While holding the snake gently, just offer the pink with your fingers a couple times. If he takes it, freeze! If he isn't interested, or is frightened, just put him in his deli cup with the pink, cover with a dish towel or T shirt, and do not disturb for an hour. NO PEEKING! If, after an hour he hasn't fed, reheat the pink to very hot, put it back in the deli with the snake, put the whole thing back in the snake's viv with the lid on the deli and the cover on the viv. Maybe toss a paper towel over the deli so the snake can't see out. Check him in the morning. If he hasn't fed, repeat in five days. If he still hasn't fed, ask for more help, here.

The key points are:

Stress-free snake from not being handled or otherwise disturbed.

Hungry snake from waiting four or five days between feeding attempts.

Very hot pink.

Small feeding container so the snake can't wander off and forget about the pink.

Feeding at night at the natural time a snake eats.

Covering the deli cup so the snake isn't trying to escape and isn't watching you.

Giving him plenty of undisturbed time to decide it is safe to feed.

Thanks Wayne and Nanci that is the information I needed. I will try again on Monday or Tuesday. I think maybe the pink wasn't hot enough or he was still a little stressed from the move. Thanks again.

If he's little you can try a deli cup or similar sized feeding tub until he is a reliable eater which has worked for some of my hesitant new ones:)- some just eat better in a smaller space.

Any time I have a new snake who is hesitant to feed I move him down a size or two in feeding tubs. It works very well. I have a 30 gram snake that _just_ graduated out of a deli cup to a Gladware.

Yeah, I had a simliar situation when I first got my snake, he didn't eat for over 2 weeks which really freaked me out because he was young and I thought for sure he would have eaten at least twice within that time!

After freaking out about it for a little I did as was suggested on here, put him in a smaller container, sealed it up and covered it with a t-shirt. I look a half an hour later and *BAM* the pinkie dissapeared!! Made me so happy.....

The best part is, I have fed him since then in a similar manner but last time I tried, he started eating before I could even find something to cover the container with! Makes me feel that he's getting more comfortable with eating and makes me happy :)

He's probably right for that rectangular Gladware. You can punch holes in the lid with a hole punch if you are careful. After that I go to the Sterilite that is for holding CDs. The thing about putting a smaller snake in that one is there is a ledge they can climb up in, if they are small enough, and then they forget about the mouse. I'll try to post some pics when I get home.

Back