• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

First Feeding New Snake

rute

I just got a 4ft Wild Corn from a neighbor last weekend and am getting ready to feed it for the first time. I'm going to "try" the frozen mouse food and see if it will eat it. I was wondering about the seperate box/cage for feeding I've been reading about. I have a couple of questions about it.

1. Does it need to be a complete setup with a heated side, etc?
2. How long do I leave the snake in it after it eats? Can I put the snake back in it's home cage imediately?
3. I know about using tongs to hold the food. Should I wiggle the mouse or just drop it in there?
4. I assume the best time to ffed it is after dark seeing as it sleeps all day?
5. Anything else about the feeding I should be aware of?

I took the mouse out of the freezer this morning and wrapped it in a plastic bag to defrost at room temp. I've since read about defrosting under warm water and will do that in the future.

Thanks for the help...
Steve

Hi and welcome,
In reply #1 ~ No just a tub, the reason you should use a tub is so that no bark/substrate is swollowed along with the mouse.
In reply #2 ~ Yes, but be carefull with handling. Being too rough can cause a regurge.
In reply #3 ~ Hold it there, let her smell it. If theres no reaction wiggle it.
In reply #4 ~ Yes, its active at night (nocturnal), so try to feed after say 7pm. Though I've fed in the morning several times.
In reply #5 ~ Don't get freaked if it strikes when you aren't expecting it! lol. Theres a chance she could strike at you as the smell of mice will be driving her mad. It's honestly no big deal though.

Defrosting in warm water saves time on the process, plus it warms the mouse to make snaky think its freshly dead. Would you like cold dinner, if it was supposed to be hot? ;) Slither

Hey there Steve...Nope, doesnt need to be the complete set up....an empty sweater box will do just fine...After he eats I'd let him settle down for 15-30 minutes before placing him back in his enclosure (make sure you wash your hands real good, too...any lingering prey smell on your hands may elicit a feeding strike)...I'd just place the mouse in the box first and see if he'll eat it that way (most do)...when you feed is up to you, altho with the one picky corn I have I've found she likes to eat at nite...

Sounds like you have everything under control...Welcome to CS and feel free to ask ?'s, post pics and join in :*)

Just an extra point to add to #2, Just place the tub into your viv. if it will fit. Saves handling a full up snake. :)

rute said:
Nope
2. How long do I leave the snake in it after it eats? Can I put the snake back in it's home cage imediately?
I leave my snakes in there until they start looking for a way out. Usually a minute or two after they've finished downing the mouse. You can wait longer if you'd like though.
3. I know about using tongs to hold the food. Should I wiggle the mouse or just drop it in there?
First I'd try tossing the food in there and leaving him alone. I'd only try to tease your snake by wiggling the food if it refuses to eat it otherwise. Just be warned that with a wild snake you might have to go live or have problems getting it to eat because it's an adult.
Corns are active in the evening/night so that would be the best time for feeding since that's what he's used to.
Use the search feature, ask questions and get the Cornsnake Manual by Bill & Kathy Love. There's a newer version out which you can get on her website at www.cornutopia.com. You can also check out various caresheets that are available for the basics. Have fun with your new snake!

~Katie

NO, it can be just a tuppaware container or small cardboard box, it doent need heating as the snake will only be there for a few hours tops

Yes you can put it back immediately, try and refrain from actually handling the snake while doing this. Try putting the box inside the actual viv and let the snake crawl out on its own, that works for me

Try just dropping it there, if he is not interested in the mouse try tease feeding yes.(also this makes him constrict it which is pretty cool)

Yup :)

Leave it for a few days after the feeding before you handle etc, there might be some things i have missed out so anyone feel free to add

it can be as simple as a bucket to feed them in. I'd run the mouse under some warm water so that it's not cold. Feeding in the evenings or about dark is prefered but i've never known any of mine to turn down a meal. You might have to wiggle it a little, considering it's wild and yes you can put it back in it's home after it's eaten....but remember to be gentle. It's gotta full belly.

Also wash your hands before putting him back in the home. Feeding response + mousy hands = nipped finger.

Oh my bloody goD!"!!!!, when i began typing there were no replies and now there is six !!!!

that was amazing!!!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I feel much more confident about feeding "gravy".. (That's the snake's name. My son called it "Gravy" because our dog is named "Biscuit") :)

I'll let all know how it goes....

Steve

(PS. If anyone has some tips on making it through another Hurricane, I'd appreciate it. Ivan was quite enough and now it looks like Dennis is on his way... I know "Move!":))

It ate the mouse. (Pictures coming) Thanks for all the help. Now I just need to figure out how to get it out of the feeding cage. After washing my hands well, I went to get it out but it struck at me. I guess I need to wait a little longer....:)

OK. Got Gravy back i the cage. I just hadn't waited long enough. Here are photos of my first feeding:

Gravy%20Eating-01.html

Gravy%20Eating-02.html

Gravy%20Eating-03.html

Gravy%20Eating-04.html

Enjoy...
Steve

Feeding an adult

I adopted my 9 year old corn and found that frozen/thawed were not an option. (I have since then found that the hunt of the live mouse is actually, sadistically fun for me too.) Mine eats at night. But I have been wondering - everyone, including Kathy Love's book, says they tend to eat at night/dusk. But how does that reconcile with everything I have read that they prefer heat for digestion? Is heat during the day satisfactory for digestion? My heat source is exclusively during the day and I let it the viv cool down at night.

Jen, You'll probably think I'm being a tw*t, but I don't mean to be, honestly. If you've got a question to ask, start a new thread of your own and you may get some replies. ;) Some people may take offence if you hijack theirs.

Back