• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

First feeding, what to do?

Kayota

I just tried to feed my snake for the first time.. first I put her in a separate container and she wouldn't eat then so I tried putting her and the pinkie back in the viv but now I'm reading she might swallow her substrate if I do that so I'm not sure what I should do... Help?

Did you leave the prey item in with the snake overnight? If not, then this would be your best option (leave them alone and let them be overnight to feed in the separate container). How old is your snake and has it fed before (assuming you got it from an expo or a pet store)? Try leaving it overnight first and then there are several threads on here regarding feeding and picky eaters if it does not eat for you. If it does not feed this first time when tried overnight, then try again in 5-7 days to avoid stress.

Okay. How can I poke holes in the other container and how can i keep it warm enough? Do I need holes if it's not airtight? It has a snap on lid but it's not sealed.

Or get a soldering iron from Home Depot or Lowes, usually under 5 bucks, and use it to melt the holes into the container. Easy Peasy.

When I fed mine first I made sure he was active and fully aware of his viv. Where he was going around the entire viv, I put the pinky on a small plate and when he noticed it he came over to give it a hug. I tried feeding him in the later afternoon but he didn't take it. So I tried around dusk time and he grabbed it within a few min. Maybe yours was just not in the mood when you fed.

Yes put a couple of holes in the container with a knife or drill, soldering iron, screw driver...whatever it takes. Then put the container in the enclosure with him or her in it and the pinkie.... and turn off the lights and let it sit, checking ever hour or so from a distance so not to disturb the snake. If it still has not eaten the pinkie, then leave it in over night or take a knife and poke a hole in the pinkie head(braining it), sometimes the smell encourages them to eat... good luck

Like buzzard said I'd try braining the pinky if you're having trouble. My little girl was being a little picky this last feeding so I figured I'd brain the pinky to see if it would encourage her. I was shocked in the response it caused, she's never been so eager to eat, she was up against one wall of her feeding tank and then next thing I know she's struck the pinky and is pulling back from me with it, eager to get it down. Braining is definitely a good step in the right direction if you have a picky eater. Also if you're feeding F/T pinkies you may try throwing the pinky in hot boiling water for a minute or two before attempting a feeding. It brings the pinkies temperature up and also may get any unappetizing smells washed off it. Each snake is different in its eating behaviors so just try different methods and see what works best in response.

Back