• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

First Feeding

KaspR

Last night was my little guy Strikers first feeding since bringing him home last week. It was awesome to watch but I have a question regarding how he ate it.

I was expecting the strike and coil but he just nudged the pinkie a few times then opened his mouth and swallowed it without constricting. Is this normal behavior for babies? Will he start constricting as he and the prey get bigger?

just for an off topic question as well. The herp shop I got him at says he's a Black Corn, but I can't find any info on black corns and from the pictures I see he looks very similar to a charcoal but his spots are just a bit darker. Is this a known breed or is it just a name the shop gave it?

Thanks in advance

a picture could do the trick, but most likely its a charcoal or anery if its "black".

ive heard that some snakes just dont strike, and some just dont contrict (rarely, they might) on f/t prey because simply, they know they dont have to

Hi Adam and Welcome!

Sometimes, the anerys are called Black, no worries there, but on the other hand, pet shops are notorious for bad information. It can be impossible to tell what you have just by looking at it as anerys, charcoals and ghosts can all have variations that appear similar. The only way to know is if you breed him unless your source can tell you what the parents were.

As far as babies go - they can vary in their feeding habits. Hatchlings are hysterical to watch eat. I got a bunch of "non-feeders" from Kathys sale and I don't think I've ever laughed so hard watching them try to figure out how to eat. It's like TV for Tonya, no kidding. Some strike, some pick up the pinky and run and some just look at me like "what am I supposed to do with that??" One little one refused f/t for me so I tried a day old live pinky. Well that little booger grabbed it by the tail end and started to eat. I was thrilled until the pinky started to run, front feet only. The hatchling is only 8 1/2 grams so the pinky actually started to pull the snake around the feeding container. She finally got the pinky down, I was so proud! Anyway, long story (sorry), but just to let you know that they figure it out most of the time.

I tease feed one of my snakes. That is I dangle f/t prey and when the snake grabs it I hold onto it for a few and wiggle. It always provokes this particular snake to grab on and start eating. He was playing with his food and would drop it and I'd have to start over. This way he grabs and starts eating so I don't waste a lot of time playing retrieve the mouse with him :)

Anyway - hope this is helpful!

-Tonya

thank you very much, well the shop i go to is a very reputible herp shop only dealing in reptiles so I'm sure they are knowledgable but thinking maybe the "black" name is their interpretation of charcoal or as you said anery. But I'll post some pics up as soon as his digestion ends, and yah the feeding was pretty funny, He nudged it aorund for a couple minutes then tried taking it in sideways and eventually turned around head first.

Mine never did "Strike" as a baby, just kinda poked the pinky a bit then found one end or the other and started swallowing.

Well he's still pretty much a baby, I got him end of Jan, he's grown to 22+ inches long now. :cheers:
I did get him to strike without any real effort though, I dropped a live peach fuzzy in the feeding tank with him from my first litter of mice. Since the thing was barely moving at all I am not sure how he knew it wasn't just another f/t but the did.
He did his usual circle the prey, but this t8ime he struck so hard it carried him and the fuzzy across the tub as he quickly wrapped up around it squeezing like a pro! He does that to the F/T's I tease him with now. Try teasing a bit, use tongs or a straw or something to roll the pink against his side and then away from him. It usually works to get a strike. Or, you can just not worry about it since he's eating without hassle and let him be laid back..

Back