• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

First Handling Session?

dr82692

I got my first, 3 month old, male amel motley corn last tuesday (9/21). I didn't touch him at all until i placed him in his feeding container on Sunday at 6:00 PM. I'm wondering how long until I can handle him a little for the first time. Wednesday night? That would be 72 hours of digestion. Is that enough? Or should I play it even safer and let him eat one more time and digest another 2-3 days after that?

I've heard 24 - 18 hours of digestion.
And I've also read that you shouldn't handle them until they have had a couple meals.

Though I handled mine since I got him (I didn't know, plus It's hard to resist.)
My guy was fine being handled after 24 hours though.

I think you'd be fine, but if you want to be safe you could wait till after his next meal.

I don't handle babies until 72 hours after feeding. You're _probably_ okay after 48. My reasoning is if I were to cause a regurge by handling too soon, a tiny snake is less able to handle the stress of a regurge than a big adult. I feel okay handling adults after 48 hours, unless I can still feel remnants of the meal.

With a brand new baby, I'd wait until after the second meal for handling. But yours ate easily, so you'd probably be okay to handle him for five minutes or so the day before his next meal. Then he gets a whole day to relax before you feed him.

After the second meal, you can handle him a couple times a day (not on the digestion days) but keep it short. You'll notice baby snakes, even if not scared out of their wits by you, are still apprehensive and will breathe very rapidly. You can _tell_ that they are stressed before you even pick them up- by the breathing rate. So short, pleasant handling sessions followed by the "reward" of going home to the viv should teach the baby that you aren't going to harm him and that he always gets to go back home when you are done. As he gets bigger and stronger and less fearful, then you can start doing more fun things like little photo shoots, having him watch a half hour TV show with you, etc.

@GSDLover- hard to resist is definitely the feeling of it! LOL. Thanks for your input!

@Nanci- Thank you once again for providing such a detailed, informative response. Maybe I'll handle him tiny bit sometime between wednesday after 6 (full 72 hours after eating) and thursday afternoon (second feeding will be friday night) so he has a nice balance between full digestion and not too much stress before the next meal. I can definitely see the logic of them being frightened, even after they realize I most likely won't hurt them. As you remember, I said my little guy automatically went on defense mode before I took him out of his hide for his first feed.

Thanks again

^^^ What Nanci said. With really "whippy" babies, I only handle when I must (cleaning, etc.). They'll calm with some size. Calmer pippies ones come out any time there is no visible remnant of a meal. I feed babies more frequently than most, so 72 hours would mean they could never be touched!

Back