• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

First regurge and shed, feeding question?

lovesbuggs

My sons corn (Checkers) regurged his last pinky. We fed him late evening of 9-13 (Thur). Found the regurge on 9-17 (Mon). I found out that on 9-16 (Sun) my other son handled Checkers while visiting, so I think it may have been because of the handling. Today Checkers is in blue. Now thinking maybe it could have been a combo of pre-shed and handling. Is that to soon before being in blue for a shed related regurge? Should I continue waiting out the shed to try feeding him? Even if it takes 10+ more days? Temps are 88-72 and have raised humidity to 70.

I think the shed is coincidental and the handling is the more likely culprit for the regurge.

As his digestive system is likely to be a little fragile following the regurge, I'd leave feeding him until after the shed. As long as he was eating reliably before the regurge, he should be fine.

How old is your corn snake, and what did the pinky look like? That's crazy if it even resembled a pinky after almost 4 days of being digested. I always handle my corn that's on pinks by day 2, because she always finishes digesting and poops by around 48 hours. I feed her every 4 days. It just seems out there that it took that long to regurge. I've only had one snake so yours could definitely be different but that's a big difference.

The most important advice for now is not to feed for a few days. When a baby snake regurges, it loses some it it's digestive "juices." Another meal too soon is bound to be thrown up also. 10 days actually would be safer than feeding soon. Any chance the pink just wasn't eaten? If you found a pink in 4 days, it was thrown up pretty soon. Like Clickslither said, in 4 days, it should be out the other end.
My next concern is temperature. 72 is too cold. If the warm end is reading 88, I have to think that either the thermometers or their location are suspect, not accurate, or that is an awfully big baby enclosure. I like infrared thermometers, but even mercury is accurate, just give time for the mercury to rise and fall. It is the time of year temps are dropping in our homes, and I start getting the calls that snakes stop eating, etc. I'd wager more than 90% of the reptile problems I deal with are related to improper temperature. Getting something good to measure it is crucial. Perhaps a bit pricey if you don't have other uses for it, but I like these: http://www.reptilebasics.com/412l-thermometer
Finally, I would make a firm "No Handling" rule for 48 hours after a meal. I go so far as to put blue painter's tape over my shop enclosures to make sure no one accidentally stresses an animal with a full belly. One regurge is probably not going to be a problem, 2 in a row often spell a dead snake. I wish you the best, and please keep us updated.

Thanks everyone for the replies and help. I'm uncertain on his exact age... he is a baby though. I also thought it strange he would regurge that long after feeding. The pinky was smaller than he usually is fed but looked fine. When we found the regurged pink it was soft and pliable, smaller than when he ate it, like it had been squished or shrunk but not decomposing, stIll plump...if that all makes sense. We've had him 7 weeks now and he has been a very reliable eater. Never had a problem. I log everything that goes on wIth my snakes...when/what my snakes eat, how they act and when they shed etc. Like keeping a baby book. This will be his second shed with us. I will definitely wait until after he sheds to feed again.
I only handle my snakes after they digest and eliminate and are active again. I had no idea until after that he had been handled.
Elrojo...thanks for the lInk. It will be so be worth having and be put to good use. I have 3 snakes and future plans for more...IF I don't fail miserably with the ones I have . I have ordered the IR thermometer and double checking the temps with a mercury thermometer right now. Thanks again everyone.

You might want to invest in Nutri-Bac, it's a supplement for their digestive track that will help them regain those juices that have been lost in the last regurge and may help prevent future ones. You can order it from Kathy's website, here http://cornutopia.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=52&osCsid=4a7682864fcb47288c62124a884c574a.

That's what I would use without a doubt if I had a regurge problem. After 4 days of being in there, it's surprising that it didn't start rotting already. The fact that it doesn't look digested whatsoever is pretty alarming. Something is amiss for sure, and I would invest in this and use it on his next couple feedings.

Thanks Clickslither. I will place an order asap! I find it alarming as well. The only other thing I can figure is maybe he immediately chucked it back up when he was placed back in his viv after feeding and it went unnoticed since he was left undisturbed until Sunday. You'd think it would've dried out some though laying ontop of the aspen. I'm quite baffled by it... but now I just want to make sure it doesn't happen again. Between the Nutri-Bac and new IR thermometer I hope it doesn't. Thanks for the help.

Back