• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

First Snake

Druddell

Hi all,

Last month I found a corn snake in my garage, curled up in the corner. I thought it looked really cool, and thought about keeping it, but it seemed to have some sort of small injury on it. I also wasn't sure about diseases/parasites on wild snakes..I relocated it to a less active area, hopefully it made it. This is what initially sparked my interest for corn snakes, and I started reading more about them. I have learned a lot of info reading these forums, been a bit of a lurker for about a month.

I just received my first snake yesterday. A 2011 "Extreme Okeetee" hatchling from South Mountain Reptiles. I let her out and she was very active, exploring her new home shortly, before trying to escape out of the top! I picked her up only shortly after she was in her tank for about 15 mins. I haven't disturbed her anymore, she has been sleeping beneath the substrate on the heated side of the tank. (I have a thermastat, set for 82F, probe on glass above heat pad).

Here are a few pics.. sorry the are blurry, she didn't exactly move slow, and my camera was not set on correct settings...I'll have to work on that in the future.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 147
She's purty! I like the extreme okeetee's, I think that will have to be my second one!
She has a very pretty tank. Does she have a name yet? Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for all the welcomes!

She doesn't have a name yet, so if you have any good one's let me know..I have just been calling her snaky for now..lol

Here is one more pic of her up close.

Attachments

• 1_Converted.JPG
    1_Converted.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 122
I'll get some pics soon enough, but decided to let him settle in a bit before I do that. Need to get that first feeding here soon as well.

I'm not going to be handling her much more until her first feeding either. How long are you waiting until you first feed him?

I'll get some pics soon enough, but decided to let him settle in a bit before I do that. Need to get that first feeding here soon as well.

Cool! You'll have to post some pics when u get your extreme. Oh, I'm already thinking about what to get next!

Looking at your sig, you have a lot of snakes? I'm not quite sure what the numbers mean though?? lol

welcome to snakes! And thanks for the pics. I'm getting an extreme from SMR too.. probably a sibling to yours:)
(warning: they are addictive ;)

And the two I'm getting from Don tomorrow / and irian jaya carpet I'm picking up
At a show next month aren't on there yet;)
Say if I had 3 snakes, a female, male and unknown, id put: 1.1.1, or minus an unknown
1.1, minus a female: 1.0.1

Actually I gave it a try the first night, because there was comment that they could be ready if cage properly ready. He wasn't ready. Thought about it afterward. I have him in large aquarium with several hides. Enjoyed hiding in Ivy and had not found/utilized warm side yet. Probably wasn't sure he could digest good sized day old pinky. Gone this weekend. Try again Sunday night or Monday.

Have fun getting your two snakes tomorrow! And thanks for explaining how the numbers work..makes sense now! I feel like such a snake noob :)

And the two I'm getting from Don tomorrow / and irian jaya carpet I'm picking up
At a show next month aren't on there yet;)
Say if I had 3 snakes, a female, male and unknown, id put: 1.1.1, or minus an unknown
1.1, minus a female: 1.0.1

I'm not going to be handling her much more until her first feeding either. How long are you waiting until you first feed him?

Succeeded at first feed late Sunday (last night). Whew!
Ate full 1 day pinky, but searched for one of smaller ones I could find.

Back