• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

First snake.

Zedo99

I plan to pick up my first snake next Sunday at the Indy rep tile show. I plan to get a bloodred corn if i can find one. Would some of you fellows be nice enough to give me a complete list of items i need to get first Friday I'm going to get every thing i need and set it up before i buy the snake to make sure everything works out good. I don't care about price really i just want to get everything i will need for my new addition. So would you help me out? I have owned lizards before. Never a snake. So help will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Dustin

(any one selling any bloodreds next weekend?)

10g tank or larger
screen top
clips for top
substrate
water dish
UTH
thermostat or rheostat
digital thermometer with probe
2 hides

optional
plastic plants
climbing branch

So, let me list what i think i need. any one is free to correct me on anything. I want to do this right and whats best for the snake.

A Cage, Probbly a large critter crawler.
A hide or 2, one for hot side cage one for cool side of cage.
A water dish togo on the cool side of the cage.
Bedding, some kind of reptile bark (any suggestions on type?)
A heat sourse, A overhead lamp.
Fake plants if i choose to?
a lid for the cage of course, whats the best kind for escape proof? (links?)

what am i missing?

You're missing what is perhaps the most important item, a digital thermometer with a probe. Walmart sells cheap indoor/outdoor ones for about $8 and up.

Also, general consensus is that a heat lamp is not needed but under tank heater is preferred, and with that you need something to regulate it like a thermostat or lamp dimmer/rheostat.

As for substrate, reptile bark is expensive and tends ro have wood mites. Aspen shavings are good.

Did you read the link I gave? It says exactly what kind of substrate to use (ASPEN or NEWSPAPER)!

If you want to get one tank to last the snake's entire life, get a 20 gallon fish tank.

Get two hides. Paper towel/toilet paper tubes are fine while the snake is small. Snakes like to feel secure, and have their sides touching the hide.

You heat source should be a UTH (under the tank heater) that is regulated by AT LEAST a rheostat....a thermostat would be ideal. Both UTHs and heat rocks will get to 110F in an hour.

You do not need an overhead lamp for your snake.

Buy a screen lid and locking clips. The clips come in pack of 2, so you'll need two packs (one clip for each corner).
Clips

That should really suffice. Honestly, read the FAQs they will answer a lot of questions like this.

If you get a 20 gal, make sure it's a 20 gal LONG tank. floor space is more important than height.

Zedo99 said:
I plan to pick up my first snake next Sunday at the Indy rep tile show.

Hey, that's where I am going to get my next snake, too. It's my second. Sort of. Odd story. But yeah, I'll be there too. =]

Back