• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

First time

zombieinvasiontm

Today is the first time I have fed my snake while it's been with me.
She's about...eh....12-13 inches, and theirs not exactly a problem, I just
have a few questions.

I bought a frozen pinkie, and it was pretty small, double the length of Valkyrie's head.
I warmed it up in a cup of warm water
made sure it was completely thawed
then put 4 slits in it's back that were sort of arrows pointed towards the tail.

I put the pink and Valkyrie in a feeding container and then set it in her tank so that she could crawl out after.
She didn't seem to like the idea of a feeding container, and she didn't show much interest in the pink other than poking it's belly a few times with her nose.

As soon as I put her and the pinkie next to her favorite hide[ a little alcove between her water bowl and her climbing branch] she was like "What? Food? HOLY CRAP!" and she seemed to enjoy it a lot.

My questions are whether or not I should discontinue the use of a feeding container and whether or not I should start getting bigger pinks.

Thank you in advance

if you are using a bitty substrate such as aspen or beech chip i would either change to something like newspaper or paper towel as they can not ingest these and get impaction (can happen with aspen especially) or not feed in the Viv.

other than that there are no real problems apart from some people may say it teaches them to associate you're hand with food so every time they see your hand they strike. personally when i use newspaper substrate i fed in the Viv's and never had any problems. now i am on aspen i either put them in a snake bag or in a rack shelf.

hope this is useful,
lee

Next time, I would make sure the pink is hot, not warm. Think 101-103F. Then put her in the container with it, in the evening, and cover it up with a dishcloth or whatever. She just doesn't know what you expect her to do in there, and is distracted.

It gives you a good opportunity to spot clean her viv, change her water, etc. while she is gone eating.

Nanci

i would do what Nancy said and if it doesn't work (probably will work) i would just feed her in the Viv as it is not going to harm her. don't worry about having her on paper towels as a substrate as i personally think it is the best and easiest substrate.

good luck,
lee

Nanci said:
Next time, I would make sure the pink is hot, not warm. Think 101-103F. Then put her in the container with it, in the evening, and cover it up with a dishcloth or whatever. She just doesn't know what you expect her to do in there, and is distracted.

It gives you a good opportunity to spot clean her viv, change her water, etc. while she is gone eating.

Nanci

Thanks so much

Back