• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Fish!

Daeraelle

So... I just went and spent $900 on a new 75G fish tank, stand, hood, lights, filters, gravel, water treatment, blah blah blah. I don't even have ANY clue as to what I'm going to put in it. No idea. I thought "An albino oscar! I love those things!" but then I could only have one, and a pleco, and no plants or decorations because oscars are evil about plants and decorations and tankmates. So then I thought "Since I'm too lazy to do sw I'll fake one and get some malwian cichlids" now I can't find any that I think are really worth putting that kind of money into. I would fill it with little fish, like neons, and guppies, but what a waste. Plus, two emporer 400 filters would be too strong of a current for little fish. :shrugs: I'm lost. Anyone else have this problem? Kind of like me buying a 32" LCD for the bedroom, and we don't watch it, we watch the 52" downstairs. Just a "I had to have it!" type of thing. I think I have a shopping problem.

I dunno... I'm a big fan of the cichlids. I have a bunch of Pearl Labidochromis, Melanochromis auratus, Pseudotropheus lombardoi, and Pseudotropheus estherae. I like them because they're actually less aggressive if you overstock the tank (=> more fish).

There's a very old cichlid (6.5 in long) named Toby in one of the biology labs here. He's been in the lab as long as most of my professors can remember, and will follow your finger around his tank. :) I can't wait until mine are that big.

I'm guessing you're not into saltwater? That's always an option, but they're a lot of work.

Or what about some other type of aggressive fish? Or what about an angelfish tank?

Cool! can we have some pix of the tank? I think a big shoal of fish would be nice, Neon tetras would be cool, like you said the current may be too strong though, but imagine about 100-200 neons swimming around? that would be pretty nice to watch at nighttime : )

My husband sees the tank when he gets home and kept talking about how big it was. I got everything set up, got the gravel in and filters going and he says, "What are you going to put in it?" So I said, "A betta." :grin01:

I'm trying to find my usb cable to camera hookup, my husband stole it the other day, and didn't return it. :twoguns: I'll have pictures soon, but so far it's just an empty tank.

fishtank01.jpg

fishtank02.jpg

fishtank03.jpg

Go with Austrailian Rainbows...

Outstanding looking fish with many different color varieties. Give a bit and I'll see if I can find my pics of them.

Give me a bit...

is what I meant...
Here ya go. Here is a few models if you will. Rainbows come in many color variations.

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 28
  • fishes.jpg
    fishes.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 30
I'm a big fan of Mollies and Platys... well at least I was... I love keeping them because they are live bearers and are fairly easy to breed but... mine don't seem to want to stop right now. I've had over 200 black mollies come and go from my house to the pet store over the past few months because my trio seem to do so well. It used to be more difficult to get the babies to survive since adults canabalize their young but these don't seem to be interested...
Anyway... sorry that thought ran away.... I like gouramis too... they can be colroful and are easy to keep.

You will have to figure out what you want in there. I keep a 75 gallon goldfish tank with some Gold shiners and a few tadpoles in there. Do you want a community tank?? Or something aggressive?

And Divapixie I think you would enjoy Heterandria Formosa the least killiefish, smallest livebearer native in the United states. Males reach a lengh of 1/4 of an inch and females up to 1 inch.

I can't do anything with the color of the water. I've put a water treatment in it for chlorine, chloramine, and heavy metals, and it's STILL greenish. I fell in love with this huge foot long oscar at the pet store. I think it would be awesome to have one, I could feed it pinkies every once in a while as a treat. :grin01: Garbage disposal when a snake doesn't want to eat, lol.

I've looked at the rainbows, the bosemi (spelling?) are very intriguing. I just do want a little larger fish. I may go with some sort of cichlid hybrid.

Daeraelle said:
I've looked at the rainbows, the bosemi (spelling?) are very intriguing. I just do want a little larger fish. I may go with some sort of cichlid hybrid.

DOWN WITH HYBRIDS!!

Go with an oscar, you won't regret it... but know that if your oscar has the "large genes" he may outgrow that 75... which is cool, an excuse for a 180! Rock! :grin01:

You could also do some tinfoil barbs - either the normal silvers or the gold albinos. They don't quite as big as the oscars and they will school. I used to keep them in with my African cichlids for targets to get the cichlids to stop beating on one another. Worked great cause the tenfoils were way larger! lol...

The tenfoils should do ok with the oscar too, if they are large enough. Right now we have an oscar in with two goroumii.. (sp??) and they do just fine together.

Love the tank though! Wish we had room for a big one like that!

Jenn

Let the tank cycle...

Daeraelle said:
I can't do anything with the color of the water. I've put a water treatment in it for chlorine, chloramine, and heavy metals, and it's STILL greenish. I fell in love with this huge foot long oscar at the pet store. I think it would be awesome to have one, I could feed it pinkies every once in a while as a treat. :grin01: Garbage disposal when a snake doesn't want to eat, lol.
before you put the final fish in you want. Cycling the tank is very, very important. If you have any ?, maybe Google how to cycle a tank. It is to much to type here. :spinner:

Back