• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Flaky Snake Syndrome?

Catfish369

I have four snakes right next to each other, but only one sheds in one peice. The other three shed off in flakes (hence the Flaky Snake Syndrome, which I just came up with). Is it possibly because of the humidity level? The cages are located in the same area as the wood burner...

Do you measure humidity or temperature? if not, you should, with an accurate thermometer/hygrometer. Then search the FAQ or Seasrch functions and find what they should be.

Mine's only shed once so far since I got him but even with a humidity of 60%+, it was flaky as you say. If it still can't shed, even with misting and decent humidity, you may need to left the snake run through a damp towel or similar, put him in a shallow box of water for a few minutes or fold a damp towel inside his hide

Being near the wood heater would produce dryer air thus lower humidity. Your ample humidity for the snakes cage should try to stay at least 50%, but that is sometimes difficult so you need to either provide moist hides for them, mist the cage with water several times daily, or give them time in a moist box which is where you close them up in a container that has a wet washcloth or something in it so the humidity is very high for about 30 minutes a day when in a preshed cycle...Or you could do all 3

Best wishes to you

I would think moist hides are a good option. I try not to disturb my snakes during a shed, so I've always found a moist hide the best option. Just leave it in the tank during a shed and let the snake choose for himself if he wants the extra humidity.

Back