• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Flexwatt for new rack(?) question.

daneale777

So, I decided to take on building what I'm calling a rack and I am wondering if what I'm planning on doing for heat will work. Basically, I'm taking a used bookshelf sort of thing and building several enclosures into it. It's about six feet tall and about two feet wide. What I'm planning to do is to make it so it can hold hatchlings and/ or bigger sizes. It will be six high for bigger snakes, or when divided, 36 separate for babies.
I hope I'm making some sense here, as I am unable to send my 3D pics across that I've been drawing.
My question is: Would it be proper to use two strips of 11" flexwatt along the back?
I do plan on putting tiles over the flexwatt and separating into three parts, so that when adults are in it, they would only have heat on one side. When it's babies, it will be along the back.
Here's the link to the flexwatt I plan on ordering, (and of course I will be using a rheostat).

http://www.beanfarm.com/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=8424693.31580&p_id=16002&xm=on

I do hope this makes some sort of sense. I'm a girl with big aspirations for a nice home for a bunch of my babies, but with no prior experience with building much of anything, (except computers,) so please excuse me and ask questions if it would help.
Thanks so much for looking.

I think understand you. You should be able to have two strips along the back just fine. And you don't really need the tiles covering it for a rack. Wouldn't hurt, but isn't necessary. And how deep is the rack? You say you're going to turn off the flexwatt so there's only heat on one side of the adult tank. But if it's like most racks, the heat gradient would be front to back, so you could have the flexwatt on both sides running w/o doing anything fancy for the adults. Would make wiring a lot simpler.

I think understand you. You should be able to have two strips along the back just fine. And you don't really need the tiles covering it for a rack. Wouldn't hurt, but isn't necessary. And how deep is the rack? You say you're going to turn off the flexwatt so there's only heat on one side of the adult tank. But if it's like most racks, the heat gradient would be front to back, so you could have the flexwatt on both sides running w/o doing anything fancy for the adults. Would make wiring a lot simpler.

Thanks for your reply. It's about 14 inches deep. My measurements keep changing, because my exact plans keep changing. I'm actually building a bunch of enclosures with plexiglass doors for the front, (aka not using plastic bins). I'm going to be using the ceramic tile as the actual back for the enclosures with the flexwatt behind it and then another wall a couple inches behind that. When part or all of it is converted, by removing the dividers, for the adults, their enclosures will run from left to right, as opposed to the babies' that will run from back to front.
I'm not worried about wiring. That's actually the easy part for me. I was just wondering if that much flexwatt would work as far as temps go (with the rheostat, of course).
Obviously, I'm planning on having corns for the rest of my life, so I want to make something that is functional, as well as aesthetically pleasing. I don't tend to do anything unless I can do it as well as I can.
Thanks for your help; and helping to answer something that probably sounds so confusing.

At only 14" deep, the 11" flexwatt will be plenty. Sounds like you have a good plan going.

Thank you. Thank you! My babies are due to pip towards the end of next month, so I had better hurry!! I will post pics when it is completed.
I really appreciate the advice. Thanks again!

Thank you. Thank you! My babies are due to pip towards the end of next month, so I had better hurry!! I will post pics when it is completed.
I really appreciate the advice. Thanks again!

No problem. And please do post up pictures. I LOVE DIY projects, look forward to seeing yours.

Back