• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Flexwatt question

Rockmanexe23

I was at a reptile fair today, and was told that flexwatt is actually dangerous and has caused many fires, is this true? I am also have a hard time understanding actually how to use flexwatt. I have heard/read that 1)it goes goes on the underside of an enclosure and 2) it goes into the enclosure with tile on it 3) it can be position on the back wall of the enclosure. What should I do? Also what would be a good thermostat to use that is not too expensive?

Flexwatt has killed many animals and burned down more than a few homes. Then again, so have the other forms of heat used for reptiles. It's not the product, but how it is used. That thermostat is a key ingredient, and probably not one you want to skimp on. Hmmm, $100 thermostat vs. ... what is the deductible on your homeowner's insurance? What is the value of your animal collection? Your family? I have to admit I've only been keeping snakes for a few years now, but from what I've read, when a thermostat goes bad, it usually sticks in the ON position rather than the OFF. It hasn't happened to me so far, thank God, but I know it would be devastating if it did. I think flexwatt and THG are the easiest and cheapest way to heat a snake enclosure. You either need to be able to solder a connection, or purchase special-made connectors to hook it up, but it's actually really easy, and only uses a few watts of electricity. Where you put it is up to you. Ideally, you want to get the most of your electricity dollars, so putting on the bottom (heat rises) is efficient, but sometimes it is easier to put it in the back (in the case of racks). Just make sure that your animal cannot be electrocuted if water is spilled, and that a thermostat/rheostat/dimmer switch, or something is used to regulate the heat. Otherwise, dead animal, smoke, fire, angry neighbors, etc. There are videos online showing how to make the connections, and many discussions on which thermostat people like best. We're all different. I like THG tape and Vivarium Electronics thermostats, but that's just one opinion. It's worth the time to research what's best for you. Jim

Hey Thanks BackAfter30, I went ahead and bought the Vivarium Electronic Thermostats. $100 dollar thermostat is what I was looking to pay but I read views on Amazon with thermostats and they were really bad. Stopped working after 2 months or so.

Most anyone/anything will have a bad review sometime. The more popular something is, the more it sells, and the greater the chance of getting that bad review. You can never please everyone. Read how many good reviews something gets instead.

Back