• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

FNG Here!

Valkyrie

Hello all. Been lurking here for a while and am a new snake owner, not a corn but a black rat. yeah I know its a corn forum but arent they a subspecies of rat?

Anyway, always been fascinated by snakes. As a kid my parents wouldnt think of it so I would catch wild snakes and release them. Last month I came across a beautiful wild black rat on the road sunning itself. About 5' long and decided to try my hand at keeping one. It was docile and I put him in a temporary spot(cardboard box) and being the escapist type they are, he escaped back to the woods. Anyway, that prompted my purchase of a CB rat. A male, about 30" long and very docile and very active! Seems to like wrapping around my arm or crawling around my shoulders. He's in a 30 gallon tank with a couple hides a UTH on one end a synthetic vine with silk leaves that he constantly climbs. He's also very curious. If I move something or adjust something he checks it out soon after. I put screen clips on the lid and he wasted no time in checking those out. I added some fake plants to his cage and he was all over them.

He eats well too. F/T mice are no problem and like I said he's really active. Though he hides a lot too, he usually decides to get out around sunset and is out all night, then back in one of his hides by morning. he usually keeps his head out looking around though.

Even though this is a corn snake forum I found lots of good info here!

Hello & welcome! Glad you have already learned lots here! I'm sure we will even forgive you for having the wrong type of snake ... as long as you post pictures of it! LOL. Either here in your intro & in the General Chitchat sub-forum is appropriate.

Back