• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Fresh Mice!

coloradoflower31

coloradoflower31
I used to get frozen mice from Petco, but I had issues with their mice. Their fuzzies are too small most of the time and have hardly any hair. I have also thrown some away that smelled bad. I noticed that the mice seem stiff even after they are thawed. I found someone in town that will freeze the mice the day before I pick them up so I can guarantee freshness. These guys were plump, fuzzy and nutritious just like they are supposed to be. They also thawed out soft and flexable. My snake loved them. He really went after them immediately and I have never seen him that excited about eating before. I think this is really going to work out and I am so happy!

Fresh Mice for Selu...yea!

The big chain stores are never a good source for feeders, especially with the prices they charge.

I hope your new supplier is humanely killing them with CO2 and not freezing them alive.

As much as I hate Petco and those other large pet chains, I must admit I go every once in a while because there's one about a 1/2 mile from my house (whereas my regular reptile store is about 16 miles away). In any case, I've noticed that whenever I go to Petco, two times out of three, the freezer door is left wide open, allowing everything inside to thaw and go off. And usually the thing that's keeping the freezer from closing is the open "frozen mice/rats" drawer. I'm assuming that people open the drawer expecting to find frozen fish food, see a frozen rat, freak out, and run away without closing the darn thing back up again.

There is a new place in town...Scales & Tails. Not too far from my house. I go in & pick them out, have them prekilled & feed them to Selu still warm. I don't have to keep them in the freezer anymore.

I haven't been on her in so long that I forgot my username & password! It took me several tries. Thanks for remembering me though. How have you been? I need to post some more pictures on here of Selu. He has to be 4 feet long now & looks totally different than his baby pictures.

Of course I remember you :) Glad you finally made it back in. I been pretty good... trying to get on disability at the moment.

I cant wait to see updated pics of Zelu!! he was such a pretty baby so I am sure he is a gorgious boy! :)

I used to get frozen mice from Petco, but I had issues with their mice.

tell me about it, lol. i usually get my frozens from there....their sizes are NEVER consistent. i always feel them in the bag to guess the size. i recently got some hoppers that were huuuuuuuge. and i recall getting small fuzzies as well. and the price, ugh. thats why i'm starting my own feeder colony.

I also give Selu a treat of cooked chicken sometimes. I noticed one day that he was really excited about the smell of chicken I was boiling in broth to make homemade chicken and noodles. I decided to see if he would like it & he did. I don't substitute it for a meal, but he gets a bite of chicken every once in a while as a treat.

Back