• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

From Dr. Jekyl to Mr. Hide

Twoboyz

Calling all snake psychiatrists...
I am very perplexed by my little Aztec's behavior lately and frankly a bit disappointed. When we got him he was our most outgoing and social little snake. About two months ago he had a complete change I'm personality. He is always hiding now. His favorite hide is under his water dish. In fact that's where he spends all his time. What happened?! I'm wondering if we will ever see our friendly little guy who always wants to come out and play. Well, I don't know if he's a he or a she.

Does anyone know if this is normal? We've had him since April. We were told he was probably an '09 but he was only 7.4 g when we got him so I'm not sure of that is correct.

Anyone have any insight on this strange unsocial behavior?
Thanks much :)

If he was 7.4 grams when you got him a few months ago, I would think he was likely an early '10... I would think even a slow-starting 2009 born late in the year would be weightier than that.

As far as behavior, a lot of our guys go through stages where they will be very active for a few months and then hide a lot. When we get a new corn, they seem active at night during the first few weeks, and we almost never see them out by day. As they age and grow more comfortable, we will see them out from time to time during the day-- indeed, we have some adults who are almost never in hides!

Sounds like yours may still be doing some settling in. I would not consider hiding behavior to be abnormal or cause for worry.

When you handle him, is he still acting the same? How are your temps? Do you provide a lot of different hides for him to choose from?

Thanks so much for the advice. We keep the temp around 88 on the warm side. We have a hide on each side. However he's been spending most of his time on the cool side under the water dish.

Thanks again :)

Back