• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

From east to coast?

bataco

Daniel
I'm going to apply to berklee college of music this june in boston, ma and after that I wanted to visit my friend who lives in the west coast (San Diego, ca) so it's very difficult to see him :(, what would be the less expensive way to go from east coast to west coast? thank you =)

time is not an issue, actually I was thinking of going in a bus haha because I was going to meet my parents in NY, I know its like a ziz zag travel and it would be a lot of money.... maybe taking a bus from boston to san diego and an airplane from san diego to ny =P

If you take a bus, be prepared for a very looong ride. You can probably find cheap flights in the Springs, both NY and LA are popular airports...save $ and lots of time!

My father used to to travel from orlando to miami in a very cheap train, is anything like that? =S

Flying only one way is sometimes more expensive than a roundtrip ticket, and a greyhound bus that distance will take 4+ days and drive you insane.

I took a Greyhound from Arizona to Ohio (and back) and it was the absolute worst experience of my life. At one rest stop I had to run in and buy an air-freshener because the lady sitting next to me smelled like she hadn't changed her diaper during the 3 day trip. I had a layover in downtown Memphis and was actually scared for my life the whole time I was in the bus station. Before we got back on the bus they did a weapons check and pulled 4 people out of line for having guns and knives. Then the AC went out for the final leg from Memphis to my stop in Ohio. And in the long run it was only about $100 cheaper than just getting the plane tickets. Hope that helps with your decision! :D

Then the AC went out for the final leg from Memphis to my stop in Ohio. And in the long run it was only about $100 cheaper than just getting the plane tickets. Hope that helps with your decision! :D
I can't believe all the things that happened to you! like a movie =S, yeah.... but its still 100 bucks =S

Back in the '70s when I was in my early 20s, I purchased an Ameripass from Greyhound bus several times. I don't know if they still sell it, but you could travel an unlimited amount of time and miles during the time period you bought the ticket for. I traveled all over the U.S., meeting herpers and visiting zoos all over - it was great, and cheap!

There are several homestay, travel exchange groups in existence in which you can stay a few days at a member's home to get to know the area, culture, and people. Or maybe you could just meet other herpers on the way. But if you have plenty of time, and if they still sell a bus ticket in which you can stop off at places in between, it would be a great way to get to see various parts of the country in between the east and west coasts!

It was a great experience - I am so glad I did it. But it was a long time ago - not sure how it would work now. I met a lot of people on the bus - none ever became actual friends, but it was fun hearing their stories at the time.

Not that I'm prejudiced or anything, but the best way
to see the country and more comfortable than a bus...

AMTRAK!

3 days from Boston to San Diego ea way
15 day pass for $349

I definatly would look into amtrak. If I had to travel across country and time wasn't a factor I'd go amtrak all the way. That way you get to see some of the country and save money at the same time.

My last greyhound experience was from FL back to MD and let me tell you it will be the last time. I get on and sit by a nice window only to be joined by a herion addict going through withdrawls and he was bi-polar and had no meds fun stuff. He was arrested in Charlotte for an outstanding warrant which meant all of our bags were dumped and searched fun really. Then some drunk chick boards and sits behind me where she keeps leaning over and talking to me, kicking the back of my seat, and yelling at random people for no reason. She was finally removed at our stop in Richmond. Greyhound used to be a fun journey, but people these days have ruined what should have been a fun experience where you could enjoy the company and chat. I vote train my daughter and i did did a broadway show in NY and it was a lot of fun not to mention all the nice scenic views and normal sober people, lol! I think I paid $224 for both of our tickets round trip which was nice.

Too bad that things sound like they have changed for the worse since I enjoyed my long bus trips.

I also have ridden on Amtrak from South Carolina and Georgia back home to southern Florida after visiting relatives, all within the last 2 years. The train was more comfy and less crowded (than the bus) for sure. The train stations were were kind of crowded and a little dirty, but not too bad. But the trains themselves were fairly nice (unfortunately, they can't compare with some 1st class trains I rode in South Korea or Germany, but those are really high standards to compete with!).

If you can buy an Amtrak ticket that would let you stop at least a couple of times to see some interesting points in between the coasts, it could be a good alternative.

Back