• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Frozen Food - storage question

Ravendark

Man of Metal
Due to recent changes in my life, i dont get to the reptile shop as much as id like and so im considering bulk buying my frozen mice. currently i only have one corn snake (tho im pretty sure that is gonna change soon)

anyway my question is how long is it safe to keep frozen mice in the freezer? i.e is it safe for me to keep upto 6 months/1 year supply at once?

Vacuum sealed and unopened, they'll last up to 3 years.

In airtight ziplocks with air removed, 6 months.

In airtight sealed tupperware in freezer, up to 1 year.

I invested in a cheap small vacuum sealer, well worth the money and effort to vacuum seal them so they last significantly longer.

thanks guys i'll look into get a vacuum sealer, dont suppose any UK people can recommend where i might get one (tho i will be looking after this post)
i keep them in a small plastic bag (air removed) & then in side a tupperware box in the freezer at the moment anyway.

thanks again guys.

Not too sure what brands are available in the UK, but I got a "Foodsaver Mini" on Ebay refurbished for $15 US shipped. The "mini" aspect means it is limited to 8" bags or rolls but that is more than large enough for mice and rats.

The real cost with these things is in the bags, they get you there. Luckily they can be reused, though make sure you don't reuse a mouse bag for human food =)

Just wondering..... has anyone tried a hoover with a crevice tool on the end to vacuum seal. I may be crazy but............. :crazy02:

Possibly the only problem I can see with that is that from your pic the corn doesnt look fully grown...therefore you would have to think about getting different prey sizes to go along with the snakes growth....I mean...getting 6months to a years worth of pinkies for example isnt really going to be practical...perhaps something to think about?

yeah i understand that ... t'is an old picture tho. hes not fully grown but im just about to upsize his food and so i can get away with a few months at a time. the question is me thinking of the future ... plus i do want to get another snake in the VERY near future!!!

Sounds like you've got it sorted. As long as you can keep your bags airtight etc and you arent going to keep the snake on a smaller prey item just because thats all you have, keeping the mice for a few months at a time will be fine. One corn is never enough. I would have loads more but I'm away to Uni this year so can't really take on any more....since I cant actually take any of my animals with me....

That sucks ... i dont know what i'd do with my animals!
yeah im thinking of 2 more snakes ... that'd be 3 snakes & 3 cats ... kinda evens things out ... or is it just a good excuse? ;) you decide

Back