• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Frozen Mice Rot?

bataco

Daniel
I was going to feed my boy and my mom told me the pinkies were stiknking, when I opened the bag It smelled bad, but not too bad, should I feed him? :S Im buyin fuzzies this saturday though...

Like mousey stinky or stinky like rotten? I wouldn't feed anything that was rotten.. They probably are hardier for that stuff than people are, since they are strictly predators, but I still wouldn't knowingly take the chance.

You might also look to the cause. Did the power go out, or were the mice left out for a period of time? The reason I say that is cause you can fix the problem before you put out a bunch of cash on new mice.

whre I live, sometimes the power goes out, and the max. time it has got out is 2 hours... I didn't smell bad before, and it smells funny, not like rotten meat... but it's bad...

Can you buy in smaller quantities? Also when the power is out ask people to try and stay out of the freezer? That's not just for the sake of your snake, as your food is in there too.. The freezer will keep nice and chilly if it's left closed when the power is out.

Or maybe you should look at breeding mice? They'll always be fresh then..

I was going to buy 50 fuzzies :S they don't want to sell me a less quantity... 25 would be perfect....

Is the power problem specific to your area? If the same problem exists where you are getting the mice, I would wonder how many times they've been temperature abused before you even get ahold of them.. If it's likely they have the same problems, I would probably try to raise up my own- Depending on how many snakes you have of course.

haha I only have one, and yes, the problem is specific from my area. I think I'm going tu buy a small quantity, and throw to the garbage the old pinkies :(

A lot of times mice smell strongly to me like what frozen brine shrimp smell like. I don't think two hours would be a problem if the freezer was left alone. Maybe you could get those blue ice packs and keep them around the mice.

I had to get a UPS (uninterruptable power source) for my little wine regrigerator because it won't turn back on if the power goes off even for one minute. I wonder if they make something big enough for a regular sized refrigerator???

Back