• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Frozen Pinkies

CornCob

How long will frozen pinkies last in the freezer before they go bad? My mom asked me that today and I couldn't answer her 'cause I had no clue! haha :)

In perfect conditions 12+ months with a freezer bag, deep freeze, etc. But I wouldn't do more than 6 months in a refrigerator freezer. Due to being opened and closed so often.

They will keep for over a year in any freezer that will keep ice cream. I have some pinkies in my refrigerator freezer for over a year and all they have is a little freezer burn. My snakes do not know the difference between them and unfreezer burned pinkies.

Okay cool. I am going to an expo and are going to pick up a bag of 100 pinkies for $16! Its a really good price in my opinion 'cause I've been spending $5 on just 3 :/ Stupid PetCo....

I want to breed rodents but my mom said no. She said she couldn't handle me feeding him live pinkies...I even told her it would save me money! I think I'm warming her up to the idea. ;D

Okay cool. I am going to an expo and are going to pick up a bag of 100 pinkies for $16! Its a really good price in my opinion 'cause I've been spending $5 on just 3 :/ Stupid PetCo....

I want to breed rodents but my mom said no. She said she couldn't handle me feeding him live pinkies...I even told her it would save me money! I think I'm warming her up to the idea. ;D

Just because you breed your own rodents doesn't mean you have to feed live! I breed my own and freeze about 10 every other week! It works out great!

I couldn't do it either. I'd have to be like your mom. I always liked snakes but in my head I thought they all ate live. As soon as I found out they eat F/T, I got some.

Ali - so do you feed both live and frozen then?

I couldn't do it either. I'd have to be like your mom. I always liked snakes but in my head I thought they all ate live. As soon as I found out they eat F/T, I got some.

Ali - so do you feed both live and frozen then?

Nope, I feed all frozen thawed or freshly killed. I breed my own, and I'll take several pinks right away for my hatchling. I "bop" these by quickly flicking them in the back of the head (I can't bear to just put them in the freezer like others, I think an instant death is far more humane than 10+ mins in the freezer). The rest I take as hoppers and I bop them on feeding day and feed them to my snakes fresh, the left over hoppers go in the freezer for next week. I also buy frozens from a friend, I just have a small breeding group to supplement when I can.

Back