• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Funky Smell?

Jay633

Hi, i ordered large pinkies from big cheese rodents and, they smell like pee!!! do all suppliers give em to you smelly?? and also my temps are great but all of a sudden my corn snake doesnt wanna eat! before as soon as it smelled the prey it went for it and now it smells it and backs off! unless i leave them in a deli cup

what i do to make my little snake go at her meal is, after i unfreeze the pinky i cut the belly open so it starts to bleed and not a little cut then i take a small container and i mean like the packages you get for take home Chinese food and i put them both in there. Works majority of the time for me.

You could try either thawing in water or simply rinsing the mouse before feeding. I haven't had any terrifically stinky mice but they sometimes smell pee-ee. After thawing in water they are perfectly appealing to my snake.

Even MY shipment from these guys wasn't that bad.

I would try to get my money back. If they smell like urine, I'm willing to bet that they are actually covered in it.

I do not know where my local pet store gets their f/t but the mice I get from there smells like urine all the time. I just set them in a little tub of hot water and the smell goes away when they thaw, My snakes seem to prefer sopping wet mice anyway...LOL.

I've gotten two orders from TBCRF and have been very pleased.
Yes, some of the mice smell of urine, but that does happen to most warm blooded creatures when they die...the bladder and muscles relax. A hot tap water thaw should take care of that.

Wow, I've CO2'd my own feeders and never had em smell bad enough for the snakes to not eat. I would deffinitely contact the company and see if something happened with that batch.

The freezing process/ actually the killing process will often make the mouse loose control of it ability to hold urine and poo in. Sounds to me that they put to many in the gas chamber at once. When they passed they peed all over each other. I would rinse well like others have suggested. Call the company and request a partial refund. See if they will bend a little maybe next shipment cost will be free. Things like that. And I would suggest feeding small corns in your deli cup. Its easier to monitor that way(not always practical /lg collections)

I've only gotten one shipment from Layne Labs so far, but the mice were pristine. No pee, no poop, no bedding.

I respect your personal choice to feed live but I would rather gas my own than ever feed live. Never had any issues with stinky mice. :shrugs:

The freezing process/ actually the killing process will often make the mouse loose control of it ability to hold urine and poo in.

Just like most animals that get euthanized. I recently volunteered at a Vet Clinic and unfortunately seen many pets be put down. Some with full bladders would release it all over the floor after passing..even fecal. Sad :awcrap:
So that is pretty much what probably happened to your mice. I'd do as these people say ;) wash them off and ask for a refund.

My mice from Rodent Pro and The Mouse Factory all have a funk to them it's not unusual or the reason your snake refused to eat trust me,lol Maybe your snake is about to shed, maybe your cage is too big and he's not totally secure, or if he's newish he may just be settling in. All snakes are also different and some are more secretive about eating and need it dark and quiet. Others will snatch it from you before you can even set it down and could care less what is going on around them. Your snake may be more shy, may grow out of it, or may always need things dark, quiet, and like eating in a smaller space:)

Back