• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Future Het Exploration

BigByrd47119

Hello everyone!

I'm going to ask a question which covers a broad spectrum of information and hope that it doesn't make me seem ignorant or stupid.

I recently picked up my 3rd corn, an adult amel male. He makes the third corn that I do not know of any possible hets. I don’t plan on proving out any possible hets for at least a year or two mind you, but how should I go about doing so?

So far I have a female normal, an anery female, and the above mentioned amel male. What combination of the two should I work with if I wanted to do some testing? I assume the male to the anery, but I ask just for opinions.

Is there anything else I need to know pertaining directly to het testing?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

The best advice I can give you if you're planning on starting a collection with breeding hopes is NOT to buy less expensive morphs with unknown genetics. When I started getting seriously in to corns, I thought $100 was CRAZY to spend on a little hatchling, and so bought babies I could get for $20. As much as I love them, I don't think there's much of a market for basic morphs with unknown genetics (or, the market is already flooded with them). Because of learning this first hand, I have sold/rehomed several of my "cheaper" snakes and invested a bit more to get morphs I truly love and feel are "sellable."

On a similar note, having unknown genetics can also make it difficult to ID hatchlings if you get something other than the expected...hypos and ultramels can look the same, lava and amel, etc to the untrained eye (that's me!). I think starting with KNOWNS makes it more enjoyable!

But yes, if you want to breed those snakes you have now, I would put the 2 morphs together. Amel and anery are probably the most common hets to have since they're so abundant/relatively older morphs, so I think that would give you the best chance of non-normal babies. Breeding is super fun, but also hard work and you can easily get in over your head! Good luck!

As cobained mentioned. Getting a snake without hets is probably how most of us started. Testing for hets, there are so many ways to do this. Some test by doing what you thought of. Stick two together and wait and see. Another way, would be to buy a snake known for a lot of hets. For instance, I have a male and female that are het for the basics. Motley, hypo, anery, amel, and ph blood ('10 models)
The good thing about using a snake with known hets is that any snakes produced have a possibility of more hets and therefore you have a better chance of finding them a home. Before breeding you need to think of how you would deal with a lot of babies you may not be able to find homes for.

Before breeding you need to think of how you would deal with a lot of babies you may not be able to find homes for.

This is a large part of why I am not in any hurry to get into breeding as a matter of fact :).

Thanks for all the info fellas. The reassurance is fantastic!

What would be the most likely morphs to pip other than anery and amel?

What would be the most likely morphs to pip other than anery and amel?

Actually the most likley outcome would be Normals. If your Anery happens to be het for Amel and your Amel happens to be het for Anery, then you will get more Anerys and Amels.
If they happen to have matching Anery and Amel genes, then you will get Snows.

I suggest getting Kathy Love and Don Soderberg's books and reading them thoroughly, as well as the Corn Morph Guide by Charles Pritzel if you're serious about getting into genetics.

All of these books can be found if you follow this link to Kathy Love's website. Scroll down and you'll find the books I've referred to.

Honestly. . .I would try the male to the normal first, but that is just me. If you test him to her first you can prove out whether or not she is het amel. They may end up with matching unknown hets. The next year I would breed him to the anery girl. Then you would prove out if she is het amel or him het anery. If you get lucky you will see some snows ;) Or if you want it to go faster breed him to both and keep the clutches seperate in the incubator. I don't try to do more than one clutch at a time though, and I don't plan on breeding next year unless I can place the 5 I am not keeping before the seasson starts next year.

Back