• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Garage Incubation

Moleman

I have used my garage as an incubator for the last four years. During that time I have over a 95% hatch rate for viable eggs.
There is a strip therm on the side of one of the viv's that registers up to 90 degrees.Many times the temp is high enough that it doesn't register.I would say the average AIR temp is between 86 and 93 degrees in the garage.

My first year, I put a clutch in an ice chest on the garage floor (because I thought conventional wisdom said my garage temp would be to high and kill the eggs.)

Much to my shagrin one afternoon the air temp "in" the ice chest was over 90 degrees-I thought I had killed the eggs...
a few weeks later they all hatched.

For the past three years I have put the clutches in a plastic shoe box away from any light- covered them well with moss checked the moisture once a week and for the most part did not worry about the temp.This method has worked well for me although according to some it shouldn't have... which leads me to these questions

Because water is a natural coolant if I "insulate" the clutch with moist moss (without an artificial heat source) does the 82 degree benchmark need revision upward for the eggs to hatch on schedule?

Could the longer hatch times for some folks be explained by a variable amount of "insulation" and therefore humidity even though they maintain a constant air temp of 82 degrees?

Anyone else use this "natural" method with success or failure?

I used a "natural" method. I placed 19 fertile eggs on a warm shelf in my herp room.

First 60 days the temps ranged between 70-85. I was always worrying about this. For the last 27 days the temp fluctuated less, and it stayed warmer, at between 78-85.

First started pipping on day 87, and it took five days for all 19 to pip and hatch. :D

They are also accepting thawed pinkies as a first meal, which is nice

bmm

Back