• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Genetics Stuff

Bailey's Dad

I am fascinated by all this genetics stuff and really want to learn about it. I really wish I had paid more attention in Biology class in school.

I wonder if anyone knows if there are any books specifically on snake breeding that go into genetics.

I have a creamsicle corn male, which I have read is a cross between an albino corn and a great plains rat snake. Are there any interesting morphs that could come form this type of corn snake?

Bailey's Dad

I wonder if anyone knows if there are any books specifically on snake breeding that go into genetics.

I have a creamsicle corn male, which I have read is a cross between an albino corn and a great plains rat snake. Are there any interesting morphs that could come form this type of corn snake?

Bailey's Dad

As mentioned, that is a great book on Corn genetics, unfortunately, you have a Creamsicle, which is a hybrid. There are a few Emoryi crosses out there, and can be found using the search function. Try terms other than Emoryi, like Rootbeer, Hypo Emoryi, Striped Creamsicle, etc.. but please drop the Corn from your snakes description and make sure you let others know that the offspring have Emoryi blood... Good luck...

unfortunately, you have a Creamsicle, which is a hybrid. but please drop the Corn from your snakes description and make sure you let others know that the offspring have Emoryi blood...

Unfortunately Capt Bogart has not read the Cornsnake Morph Guide or he would know that Charles Pritzel has listed it among the cornsnakes as a hybrid. In the big bad world of "science" it requires two species to make an hybrid, not just Emoryi. There is a corn involved.

The Cornsnake Morph Guide linked in the first response to your question is a good book and will answer your questions.

Unfortunately Capt Bogart has not read the Cornsnake Morph Guide or he would know that Charles Pritzel has listed it among the cornsnakes as a hybrid. In the big bad world of "science" it requires two species to make an hybrid, not just Emoryi. There is a corn involved.

The Cornsnake Morph Guide linked in the first response to your question is a good book and will answer your questions.

Or he could save himself the $15 and just browse this forum, especially the FAQ, and learn all of that for free.

There's nothing special about corn snake genetics. They follow simple Mendelian rules and you can learn that from a $0.50 book on ebay.

I actually have a signed copy.... but they aren't listed AS Corn Snakes...
There is Creamsicle, Rootbeer, and the Hypo, which is a Cinnamon... There, I covered the page and a half, and he can find them here....

Thanks for all the info so far. I have downloaded the calculator, but I think it is too advanced for me right now. I don't even know what a "Het" is, so I really need the basics for now so I can understand the terminology in plain language. Will the corn snake book have this kind of basic info?

Thanks for all the info so far. I have downloaded the calculator, but I think it is too advanced for me right now. I don't even know what a "Het" is, so I really need the basics for now so I can understand the terminology in plain language. Will the corn snake book have this kind of basic info?

Here you go bro, this will get you up to speed. Genetics Sticky

Thanks a lot guys, I will cut and paste into word, print it all off and that will keep me in bedtime reading for months. I hope I get it in the end!

I actually have a signed copy.... but they aren't listed AS Corn Snakes...
There is Creamsicle, Rootbeer, and the Hypo, which is a Cinnamon... There, I covered the page and a half, and he can find them here....

Having a signed copy is a lot different than reading it.

Like it or not Creamsicle, Rootbeer, and Hypo are all Cornsnake hybrids.

Having a signed copy is a lot different than reading it.

Like it or not Creamsicle, Rootbeer, and Hypo are all Cornsnake hybrids.

No kidding? :laugh01: I Guess reading posts and understanding them are different too... I'll type real slow... The three morphs listed for Emoryi Hybrids are posted above, which was one of the questions. I'll even repost it for you... again...

Or is this all because you think I don't like hybrids? Lol... :bang:

OK, I'll back off. I guess my argument was with you saying that he should drop the name corn. Creamsicles, are they are corn hybrid or an Emoryi hybrid?

Even though corns are rat snakes, please, please, please, label your creamsicles, cinnamons, and rootbeers as such, and not as anything suggesting it is all corn.
My two cents.

Back