• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Getting back into reptiles

Magdalen

Snakes actually. :)

Anyway, hmmmm I had a Kenyan Sand Boa years ago, then Leopard Geckos. But due to money/job issues I had to put a hold on the whole herp thing. Plus I adopted a horse 3 years ago and well she eats money -_- (not really, but really haha). I just got a much better job and want to get back into the world of reptiles/snakes.

I still have some of my supplies from last time. Including a 20 gallon long tank and stand. Needs to be cleaned up and set up. I didn't want to do a Kenyan again, cause well mine didn't eat frozen. I don't want something super big. I have a rabbit; he wouldn't forgive me. So research lead me to corn snakes.

I plan to go window shopping at a good reptile store and see their morphs. Then get the tank set up with a week or two. Then the snake :)

Any advice?

Welcome back to the world of snakes! My advice is to find a breeder rather than purchasing from a pet store. You'll have more selection, know more of it's history, and be more likely to end up with a healthy pet. Going to a reptile show is a great way to find breeders, and most likely you'll find what you're looking for there as well.
Can't wait to see what you decide on!

Yeah I thought about that but the first reptile show isn't until later in the year and I don't know if I want to wait that long haha. I guess I could find someone online. I'm not super picky on the morph.
What are some good online breeders within the US?

I'll still end up checking out the place and see their morphs in person. It looks like a nice place and I won't be getting anything for a couple of weeks anyway.

I only really know the breeders in my area, but if you check out the "Corn snakes for sale" forum here, that might be a good place to start to see who breeds what. :) I absolutely understand not wanting to wait. The next big show around here isn't until the end of August, and I'm already thinking about what I'm potentially looking for! But knowing you're getting a healthy snake from a knowledgeable person is absolutely worth the extra effort. ;)

Yeah our show is in late September. I did look there and not much in the way. I think I'm liking the bright orange sunkissed ones.

Good luck on whatever you decide =)
Just a word of advice: IF you choose to go through a breeder, make sure you do a thorough check and research on them and their business. It's really really important that you do.
I did and I found one of the most amazing breeders- I'd never bought any animal from a breeder ever, especially not online- but this person was amazing. And there are a ton of great breeders. But there are a ton of scammers and animals abusers, too, so just make sure you ask questions and your breeder communicates well with you before, during and after you get your snake.

The reason most people caution against pet stores is a lot of times they are not fed properly, they don't eat when they get home, they're housed all together, could have diseases, and other various issues that may pop up from store bought snakes. Just to give you an idea, is all. There are people on here who have store bought kids and they are doing really great, so it's ultimately what you're comfortable with.

So good luck and send us pictures!

Thanks for the advice and welcomes :)

I went to check out that pet store. Really nice place! Animals and tanks looked great. However they only had two corns, both adults that were surrendered to them. So not as many morphs as their website states. But I did get to see a hog nose in person and OMG he was adorable. I'm thinking I need one of those too haha.

Back