• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Getting my first AMEL corn on wednesday 24 december

ozymandias

Hey, im getting a amel corn snake on wednesday and iv got the viv set up and its a perfecto vivarium 40cm x 18cm x 18cm and i put a empty toilet paper tube in there with a log that came with it and some face plants that i found in an old fish tank.

ANY TIPS ?
:idea:

Hey, im getting a amel corn snake on wednesday and iv got the viv set up and its a perfecto vivarium 40cm x 18cm x 18cm and i put a empty toilet paper tube in there with a log that came with it and some face plants that i found in an old fish tank.

ANY TIPS ?
:idea:

What about heating source? You need a cool end and a warmer end... do you have a thermostat to regulate the temps on the warmer end?

Congrads on the Christmas present :)

What about heating source? You need a cool end and a warmer end... do you have a thermostat to regulate the temps on the warmer end?

Congrads on the Christmas present :)

yeah iv got a UTH but they reptile store guy said theres no point spending money on a thermostat yet because its such a small well ventilated vivarium its not going to get to hot

thanks for replying !

Those heat mats can get to 100 degrees, which is MUCH too hot! And because it is a small enclosure there is less space for a snake to escape the heat and thermoregulate by going to a cooler area.

yeah iv got a UTH but they reptile store guy said theres no point spending money on a thermostat yet because its such a small well ventilated vivarium its not going to get to hot

thanks for replying !

Glass is glass and it WILL get hot! I've had the glass in my 10 gal get up to 108! My 10 gals are on a double thermostat and my 55gal is actually sharing a single with a 20gal. The thermostat therometer is in the 20gal and I have a separate therometer in the 55gal over the pad. It still has to be up on magazines as the glass will heat up to about 98 even though the 20gal is the right temp. I plan on getting another Herpstat after Christmas for Kieran.

What we are measuring is the heat at the tank bottom, not the general heat inside. Put your therometer against the glass and you may be amazed at the reading you get back.

Glass is glass and it WILL get hot! I've had the glass in my 10 gal get up to 108! My 10 gals are on a double thermostat and my 55gal is actually sharing a single with a 20gal. The thermostat therometer is in the 20gal and I have a separate therometer in the 55gal over the pad. It still has to be up on magazines as the glass will heat up to about 98 even though the 20gal is the right temp. I plan on getting another Herpstat after Christmas for Kieran.

What we are measuring is the heat at the tank bottom, not the general heat inside. Put your therometer against the glass and you may be amazed at the reading you get back.

my thermometer is on the bottom of the viv in the middle of the hottest spot.

its only a small 17watt starter UTH

Back