• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Getting them to eat!

Darin Chappell

Very Senior Hillbilly
Here are some babies I had a little trouble convincing to eat at first. However, they're all chomping down on their scented meals now, and will be moving toward unscented soon!

Here is an amel motley, het anery A:

Attachments

• feeding pics 9-17-20030001.jpg
    feeding pics 9-17-20030001.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 130
This little guy would NOT sit still long enough for a clear picture, but I have to say that this is one of the best pewters I have ever seen! Even in this bad pic, you can see how diffused his side pattern is. It's really almost non-existant! :D

Attachments

• feeding pics 9-17-20030003.jpg
    feeding pics 9-17-20030003.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 127
WOW

That pewter is a killer...You have to post a pic of him when he gets older cause he's gonna be beautiful...

Thanks for sharing

Darin,

With what did you scent the pinkies? I have a gorgeous Bloodred that hatched last week. The seller told me his Bloodreds are notorious none feeders. I am preparing to have a long battle with a none feeders. Normally I don't pay none feeders any attention but this girl will be that ' one in a thousand Bloodreds' so I will do what ever I can to make her eat.

Marcel,

I used anoles to scent these pinks. Bloodreds are well-known lizard preferers as hatchlings, and most of them will eat an anole scented pinky after refusing an unscented one. Kathy Love also sent me some deermouse shavings, and she said that she has about a 20% success ratio of getting those that do not eat anole scented to take pinkies scented with those shavings. She leaves the pinkies burried in the shaving for 15 to 20 minutes before offering them to the snake.

Good luck with her, Marcel!

:cool:

Even though the picture isn't that clear, that pewter manages to shine through anyway! Very Nice!

Carol,

The little guy/gal just WOULD NOT hold still! :D

I'm going to try to get some better pics in a couple of days. I'll post them if I do.

There was a hypobloodred produced from the same parents as this little guy last year. So, this is possibly het or homozygous for hypo. When I look at how little a lateral pattern this one has, and the pink sheen to it, there seems to be a very good chance it may actually be a ghost pewter. That would be ... in a word ... COOL!!! Only breeding trials will prove that theory one way or the other, but now that he/she is eating, I may get the opportunity to try!

Thanks Darin,

I have not too much confident in it.. The reason I am very worried is because I have never seen such a small wrickled corn. She is dropdead gorgeous (howmany times have I mentioned this? ;) ). I have offered live pinky and thawed and brained and chick scented. In a week I will try again. It that fails I will force feed a chick leg (well a part of it) to get something in her stomac.

Attachments

• blood-02.jpg
    blood-02.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 73
Marcel,

I would really try to lizard scent that pinky before you force feed a chick leg part. Almost any skink will do, I think, but if you can get an anole, that's even better. if any of the pet stores have small lizards around you, you can go ask to look for shed skin in the tanks. Usually, they don't mind giving you all you want. Then you simply wet the pinky a small bit, and stick the shed to the pinky. That usually works wonders on bloodreds!

Any lizard will do? I don't know the first thing about lizards. I don't have a shop nearby but I can do some calls with lizard keepers. Must they be American lizards? (or is that a stupid question?)

Back