• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ghost het Snow x Blizzard

hzahorka

Borderline Corn Addict
Hi all,
Ok...I was messing around with 2 different genetics wizards just a bit ago. I put in my male ghost het snow and female blizzard into the MP Genetics Wizard 1.3 and came up with:
25% each of the following: het blizz, hypo. Amel het charcoal, hypo.
het snow, charcoal and hypo. and Amel het ghost, charcoal
When I done this using Micks Prodgeny Predictor there wasn't a way for me to add snow in as a "het" for my ghost so I marked off both ghost and snow as visual and it gave me a "snow hypo (masked)" which would make the babies between he and my blizzard 100% Amel het phantom, anery.

Which is it? lol

Use Ghost and mark "Amelanistic".

And - this is a recommend and is not meant offending or something like that.
Get into the genetics, read about it and learn what you're doing instead of just clicking around.
That the completely wrong way if you like to breed your animals!

Both programs produced the wrong results for your proposed mating.

Use ghost and "het amelanistic" ("het amel"?).

I've been trying to figure out what went wrong in those calculators.

Ghost is hypomelanistic and anerythristic. Het snow is heterozygous amelanistic, heterozygous anerythristic. As that male snake is actually a ghost, he is hypomelanistic, anerythristic, heterozygous amelanistic

A snake cannot be anerythristic and heterozygous anerythristic at the same time. That is where the MP Genetics Wizard seems to have screwed up. It used heterozygous anerythristic instead of anerythristic.

In Mick's progeny predictor, putting both snow and ghost in as visual made the male into a hypomelanistic, anerythristic, amelanistic.

In my opinion, inputting the genotype one locus at a time is less likely to produce mistakes than trying to shortcut with combos like "snow" and "ghost". Hope this helps.

paulh said:
Use ghost and "het amelanistic" ("het amel"?).

Yep, sorry, I was a little too fast typing, forgot the het.
You already got the offspring for that paring in your other thread though... just a hint :sidestep:

OK, now if I use ghost with het to amel wont I also need to put down het to anery A since it takes one of each to make a snow?

hzahorka said:
OK, now if I use ghost with het to amel wont I also need to put down het to anery A since it takes one of each to make a snow?

This kind of confusion is why I hate the shortcuts like "het snow", "het ghost", "het butter". Unless you know the specific gene of each of those, you will get really confused. Your pairing should be: anery hypo het amel paired with a charcoal amel. If you seperate the genes out like that, it makes things easier on you. Then you can figure out possible hets.

Your offspring should be:
1/2 normals het amel, anery, charcoal, and hypo
1/2 amels het anery, charcoal, and hypo

Basically, you will have nothing but hets in F<sub>1</sub>. In F<sub>2</sub>, you'll have a huge spectrum of stuff.

hzahorka said:

Oh, and to answer your questoin, no. Your snake is already homo anery, it can't be both het and homo. This is where the short-cut names confuse people. you have a ghost (anery+hypo) het amel, and a blizzard (charcoal+amel). There is no way any type of anery can be het for anery. Then you'd have 3 genes on the anery locus which would be completely impossible.

I do like Menhir's calc, but I also like the Progeny Predictor.

I just wish someone would get Mick on updating that app.

:shrugs:

E. g. guttata said:
Your offspring should be:
1/2 normals het amel, anery, charcoal, and hypo
1/2 amels het anery, charcoal, and hypo
Basically, you will have nothing but hets in F<sub>1</sub>. In F<sub>2</sub>, you'll have a huge spectrum of stuff.

AHHHHHHH! lol. I guess what I am going to have to do in order to keep from getting so confused is to sit down and break each one of my snakes "backgrounds" down on a piece of paper and go from there.
When I type in a pair of F1's from this breeding (normal x amel) Mick's chart shows them as being 1.0 het Blizz, het Ghost and 0.1 Amel het "Phantom", het Anery and what they could/should produce from 6.25% het Blizz, het Ghost alllll the way down to 0.78% Charcoal het Amel....all these %'s things mess me up too lol.

Back