• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ghost Pastel, Coral Ghost???

Leiopython

Hi guys,

Can you help me, I bought yesterday a beautiful corn snakes that looks like a Ghost Pastel or a Coral Ghost but he have ruby eyes, we can't see it on my pictures but the pupils are red. He also have the traits to be het blood red and maybe het motley. Can you help to find out what he is.

IMG_3958.jpg

IMG_3960.jpg

IMG_3955.jpg

IMG_3951.jpg

IMG_3950.jpg

IMG_3949.jpg

IMG_3948.jpg

IMG_3944.jpg

IMG_3943.jpg

IMG_3942.jpg

Thanking you in advance for your help!!!

Mathieu

Lovely pastel ghost! He just doesn't have the deep pinks of the coral ghosts. And ruby eyes are fairly common in ghosts and other hypo A combos.

WOW! I am so jealous of that find! What a beautiful pastel ghost you have there! Congrats on the find!

Very nice! I think Susan's probably right about him being a pastel, but he sure is an interesting looking individual.

Beautiful snake, definitely qualifies as a "pastel Ghost". Would love to see some close ups of the head, esp. the eyes.

Thanks for the helps and your comments, Chris68 I will try to take good close-up of his head soon, I will just let him settle down a bit, he's just burrying himself into the aspen bedding each time I try to take pictures.

Another questions for you guys, considering that he is a Pastel Ghost and he is probably het blood red and het motley, with witch one of these female will you breed him ? I have one that his normal, but het blood red and het lavender and probably het amel. The other female is Anery Motley but I don't know if she is het for something.

Thanks again for all your help and comments!!

Mathieu

I guess I would go for the blood red, so I got my answer here but I was thinking of something, what female I should breed whit him to get some others like him, it's the first one like this that I can find here in Quebec, so I would also like to get some like him.

Thanks to all who had and will answer me, I really appreciate your help.

Mathieu

If you have both females, why not breed him to both of them to not only try to prove out the hets, but give you as much of a variety of offspring as possible?

Hi Susan,

I really don't know, I have never been a big fan of that method, I prefer to know who are the parents.

Let me explain my situation here and you will be more able to help me.

Right now I have 5 corn, 2 pairs, in thos pairs I have 2 adults ready to breed and 2 juvenile not ready to breed yet and this new male ghost pastel who seems big enough to breed.

My first and original pair of adults consist of the male ghost motley that I have already post here a couple of months ago and of one female Anery Motley.

The second pair is composed of 2 regular het blood red, het lavender and maybe het amel (from the stock of JF Déry, that gives lavender male with a lot of pink)

And finally this new little boy. I just want to breed for fun, maybe one female per year, not more, in Quebec right now there is too much corn snakes, the market is full of corns and right now you can see adds of corn like a butter motley whit is Aquarium for 60$ it's just crazy, the guy is still not able to find a buyer, so I will only have one batch per year.

As you can see, my favorites corn are the ones with gray and pink and yellow tones, this male is just very nice, so I would like to have babies like him.

So my question is, what female I need to reproduce ghost pastel?

Thanks again for all your help, I will post pictures of all my corns soon.

Mathieu

He looks awesome very pretty love the colors and the pattens as well congrats on your new corn. ;)

I'd check his shed to see if there is greyish pigmentation on it. I would not be surprised if there is not, because that would mean he is homozygous for dilute. There is just something about him that reminds me of my dilute anery motley male.

Thanks for your answer SnakeAround, I had the same feeling, I have never seen one corn that his dilute live, but people at the Reptiles show where I get him were all telling me that he was in shed, I knew that it was not the case, I keep snakes for more than 18 years now so I have seen so much snakes of a lot a species in shed and he is clearly not. But, I have seen the reflexion of light on him that gives the impression and for that reasons I was thinking maybe he is dilute also.

The funny thing here is that I tought that maybe my male ghost mostley was dilute because of his coloration, he is very pale, but it's nothing compare to this one.

I will wait for his first shed at home with impatience lol

Mathieu

Especially the pencil like borders remind me of mine, see Korben on my site in my signature if you like. Maybe yours is also hypo, he is so colorful.

I really don't know, I have never been a big fan of that method, I prefer to know who are the parents.

Not sure what "method" you are talking about. Breeding this new male to any of your females or all of them will still let you know exactly who the parents are...this male is the father and the mother of the clutch is the female that laid it. And sorry if I sound rude. I know there is a language barrier but your statement just struck me as very odd.

You only want to produce one clutch of eggs next year and you would like to use this male to the best female you currently own in hopes of producing more like him. That being the case, I would use the anery motley female and hope she is het hypo.

Your new male might also be homozygous dilute, but it's a little difficult to say without seeing him in person. I can see why you might think that, but waiting for a shed skin to look for any pigment is your best bet at this moment. You'll want to pay close attention to the darker saddle bands as even my regular ghosts and hypos show very little pigment in their shed. As hatchlings, I don't ever see any pigment until after they get some good size on them.

Oh my god sorry Susan, I didn't want my comment to be odd or rude or anything else, I should have read your answer a second time, I tought that you were telling me to breed my 2 males with only one female and I have never liked that idea. It's true we have a language barrier as I am a French Canadian, but I worked with a lot of people in Ontario and in the united states and usually, I think that my English is not bad, not perfect but ok.

By the way, I have read a lot of your post and I've already been on your website and you are by far one of the person I respect the most, you have true passion for these little snakes that deserve respect and admiration. I'm more a Python guy, I have a couple at home and I loved them very much, but I still can't get rid of corn snakes, they were my first snakes and they will always have a place in my house and my heart.

So again a big thank you for your help!! and to everyone who are taking there times to answer me, I know what it is to take our times for people on forum like this one, I'm doing the same thing on some french forum in Quebec for more than 8 years now to help people with my knowledge and I'm doing educations in Reptiles show for more than 15 years now. We are all infected with the same disease, love of these great creatures.

Sorry for the novel, it happens sometimes, when I'm in the mood loll

Mathieu

By the way I simply forgot to ask.

I'm not against the fact to try to find an adult or juvenile female to pair with this new male, so if I want to make more like him, considering what you told me I need to find a female ghost?

But let say he is dilute, het blood red and het motley, can you let me know witch female with what genetic you would try to pair him? I know that maybe he is not all this but if he was.

And finally Susan, do you ship to Canada or anyone else for that matters.

Best regards,

Mathieu

The ideal female to test him with would be along the lines of a dilute ghost motley het bloodred, if you can find one. Walter has a pair of breeders where the female is a dilute anery motley, but then you'll end up with another male. environmentalteach has a granite het hypo female available and she would be a nice choice. Contact Rob Stevens at Bayou Reptiles. If anyone has a potential adult, or close to adult, female with all the right genetics, he would. Walter would be next, but I know he already sold his lovely dilute anery bloodred female.

Unfortunately, I don't ship into Canada. The best I could do would be someplace close to the border where you could drive across and pick them up. You might be able to find a breeder in Canada with the genetics you're looking for, but finding an adult female might be tough.

Anyway you could contact JF Dery? From what I remember he (or she can't remember) had some really nice corns.

I know I have bought a good part of his collections two years ago, he has sold everything but he never had any dilute ghost motley het bloodred, the line that I like from him were is lavender and bloodred, so I have kept a pair that are het for those 2 het.

I will see with the biggest breeder we have in Quebec and if I can't find any, I will look on Reptiles Canada, maybe a breeder from another province may have some.

Thanks again for your help Susan and chris68.

Regards,

Mathieu

Back